1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I-AA Schools Now Eligible For Football Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

App State is No. 38 in the Sagarin ratings and is No. 31 in everyone's favorite list, ELO_CHESS.

Still not Top 25. Their SOS will make it hard for them to stay even in the top 50.

So they may get votes, but it's moot.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I guess Division II teams will become eligible next week.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I-AA players can win the Heisman and, in theory, Appy State could skip the playoffs and accept a bowl invite. Or at least I think they could, the SWAC schools don't do the playoffs now.
    When they took the restrictions off I-AA games counting or not counting toward the six-win mark, that should have made the I-AA teams eligible for the poll then, not that it mattered.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the coaches get ripped for not seeing enough teams play before they vote? How the fuck can an AP voter cast a legitimately researched ballot when they never, ever see I-AA teams play? What a ridiculous fucking idea.

If AP feels that strongly about I-AA football they should start publishing a I-AA Top 25.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Why not? The poll was always intended to measure teams that compete against each other, regardless of division, based solely on on-field performance," she said.

As someone alluded to with a reference to schedule strength, it becomes a moot point unless Appalachian and other schools in that subdivision decide to become independents and play a lot of games against the big boys and a lot fewer against teams on their own tier. Does McNeese State get a shot at Michigan soon?

6. Armchair_QB

This is the kind of shit you get when you put a woman in charge of the sports department...

I keed... I keed...

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

For crying out loud guys, some of you take these polls way too seriously. It doesn't mean anything. Besides, it's not like Lou Holtz is voting and giving points to schools like Georgia Southern or Alcorn State or Bethune-Cookman or FAMU or any other school he'd schedule early in the year.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good point.

Sincerely,

The most anti-poll college beat writer in America.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Bingo.

Though just about all of the poll-related reaction to that game has been pretty knee-jerk.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They do. Don't they?

We run a I-AA poll in our agate and we get it via AP.

11. Armchair_QB

I don't think that's their poll. Not sure.

12. chester

chester Member

It's not. I believe it's voted on by the coaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted