1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetical Vick flips on fellow players thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Aug 27, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

While waiting at the local Mavis for a slow tire leak to be fixed this weekend, I was reading an SI article from the spring, when the Vick story started to break. It quoted an expert (forgot exactly who) who said a subculture of dogfiighting permeates the NFL and NBA. The story also said dogfighting is mentioned in the lyrics of a number of rap songs.

However, I'd hate to see the discussion of dogfighting degenerate to the finger-pointing level that the steroids story has over the past couple years. As with steroids, it's a law enforcement issue and, as with steroids, it obviously didn't rank very high among law enforcement priorities until recently.

I don't think assigning blame to reporters or leagues for not dealing with the topic earlier is productive in the least. Of course, some people probably enjoy the self-flagellation part.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Dammit, was thinking just that very thing.

I'd be shocked if Vick could spill the guts about too many people, becuse for as brazen as Vick apparently was about his dogfighting attendance, it took this long to get an indictment.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted