1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetical Michigan/Florida question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by IGotQuestions, Dec 3, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Instead of saying that there was clearly an attempt to manipulate the system and ther Harris poll must go, all Lloyd should have said was:
    "The system is flawed but we had our chance on the field and didn't do it."
    That would be the truth.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And in the moments after the Gators learned they got the nod to play Ohio State, Fox asked Meyer about his comments weeks before. He stood by them, saying that the system is flawed and that there needs to be a way to sort things out on the field. So sre you saying Meyer is a whiner and Carr isn't when they basically made the same comment?

3. GFav44

GFav44 Member

So far, we all know that the system is flawed. The way college football decides the national champion is subjective. Until presidents change their mind and see they can make money from a playoff system that can include bowls, this is what we are stuck with.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Michigan was penalized for losing to a better team than Florida did...

Gotta love that logic...

I didn't want a rematch either. I just think it sucks that Florida wins its only national title in a rematch and then gets another shot at a national title because people don't want to see another one...

The system fucking blows...

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's kinda hard for Carr to lobby for anything since his team hasn't, you know, won a game in about a month.

What's he gonna say? "Hey, remember how good we looked Nov. 11 against Northwestern?"

No, they were penalized for not beating as many good teams as Florida did.

6. GFav44

GFav44 Member

First of all, I wonder when someone was gonna bring up the year Florida lost to Florida St. only to play them in the Sugar Bowl and win and win a national championship...

Second, and Florida looked good beating up on 2-9 Western Carolina...but this is why Florida will lose to Ohio State: Florida offense is not that good. Chris Leak is a decent QB, but he is not a fit for Urban Myer system. If he decides to do that shovel pass garbage again...Ohio State will be all over it.

7. BTExpress

It was a different system.

Ohio State and Arizona State were locked into the Rose Bowl.

The UF-FSU rematch wasn't deemed the "national championship game" when it was scheduled. It just happened to turn out that way after a few dominoes fell.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You mean that same Ohio State defense that allowed 39 points to Chad Henne and Michigan?

9. BTExpress

If I was Ohio State . . .

. . . and I had Ohio State's record against the SEC . . .

. . . I would just keep quiet and play the game.

There will be plenty of time for crowing IF they can somehow find a way to beat a team from this conference.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Is there any chance the fanboys here will realize how ridiculous it is to point out that Florida played Western Carolina?

Damn. The Gators played 10 bowl teams. TEN.

Count Western Carolina as an off week if you like. But stop presenting it as some sort black mark on Florida's record.

You're coming off as mighty pathetic.

11. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Hey Dog, it played 10 bowl teams, true. But wanna know how many SEC wins were helped by cupcake opponents? (I point this out because of general myth that says the SEC is far and away the best conference this year)

Check out the following:

The SEC was 7-6 against non-SEC BCS schools, and the Big Ten was 6-5 vs. BCS schools.

The SEC scheduled eight I-AA teams that were a combined 40-48. ... Compare that to the Big Ten, which scheduled eight I-AA teams whose combined record was 65-33.

And I counted 34 overall cupcake games scheduled for the SEC compared to 21 cupcakes for the Big Ten (subject to debate on some teams, of course). That's why so many SEC schools have such good records.

I'm sick of all this talk about Florida's tough schedule in what is "far and away the toughest conference in the country". It's a MYTH perpetuated by the fact that a couple of Big Ten teams (Penn State and Iowa) didn't fare as well as expected and there happens to be four 10-win SEC teams that fed off garbage and the SEC's lowly teams.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mike Rosenberg mentioned the scenario that would have pitted Florida and Michigan --- the old bowl system... OSU-USC in the Rose, Florida-Michigan in the Sugar.
    If OSU won, they win the title. If USC wins, UM-Florida fight for it...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061205/SPORTS06/612050385/1122

Has some other choice comments in there about couple voters too...

Draft saved Draft deleted