1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hypothetical 2009 Saratoga Day Trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This remains quite alive, with 8/8 remaining the target date . . .

There's a marginal chance that outside work issues will thwart me, but it's not likely
    they'll frustrate the grand plan . . .

My projections have me driving up for early-morning arrival . . . hope to stay in the
    area overnight, Saturday, but that's still not certain . . . \

Updates, as they occur.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fasig-Tipton (horse auction company's) Festival of Racing will be the weekend in
    question. Lotta promotions, including a couple of bizarre "contests" (best turned out horse, best turned out lady, etc.), a Legends of Racing speaker series, and a Bobby Flay book signing . . .

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This remains alive. I'm almost certain to be there, now, beginning Whitney morning.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have to be at work at 1, so no go. Have fun for me!

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

PMs have gone out to those having expressed a degree of interest. We'll see where we're at.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Gorgeous day, up there. Spectacular crowd. Dressed to the nines, in the clubhouse-box area. Certain public areas
    (grandstand apron . . . and the undercover area servicing clubhouse entrants -- Jim Dandy
    bar, and the adjacent public multi-screen
    area leading to the stairs to the clubhouse boxes) were as crowded as I've ever seen them. Bottled water: $3.50. Siro's prices: domestic canned bear $4.50, imported $5.50, well drinks
    $6, call drinks $8 . . . a $5 cover for access to the post-race band area with the open-air bar -- outrageous . . .
    indoor bar area was absolutely mobbed . . . noveaus were tipping the hostess $100
    for access to one of the umbrella tables
    across from the Funny Cide bar . . .
    it is to laugh.

Downtown parking is tougher than ever,
    in large part due to some of the newer
    hotels, but there are ways, if you're willing to walk a couple of short blocks
    and go towards Circular Street. Sperry's
    now features a jazz trio on Saturday night, so main room was crowded, though
    the garden area behind wasn't bad at all.

Saw the world in the paddock prior to the Test and the Whitney. It's good to see lots of people at the races, especially at the First Church of Saratoga.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wish I could have made it.
    You make a lot of jack?

One day before I die, I will spend the entire meet there. May shovel shit and walk horses to do it. But I will do it.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Got there a shade too late for the third-race winner ($17), but caught the
    Whitney. Superb price on a horse who
    figured right there, if you throw out his
    synthetic non-effort in his last start. . . easy to do. 2-1 on Commentator was
    silly. 2-1 on Macho Again was bad, bad value.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I guess if anyone had hit the $87,000 superfecta in the last race we would have heard about it by now.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You could actually make a case for the winner at the price, though wasn't involved, and watched the thing at the Funny Cide bar at
    Siro's. Second horse in there was a very, very tough make.

Draft saved Draft deleted