1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Looks like this one's for real. Projected to be the first major hurricane (Category 3-plus) to hit the U.S. mainland since Wilma in 2005 (same year as Katrina):

Tropical Storm Harvey projected to become 'major hurricane' - CNN

It's headed straight for Corpus Christi. This one's a little worrisome for me, since I have family all over Metro Houston, including my senior citizen Dad and stepmom, who live a little Southwest of the city and are not far from the Brazos River, which floods constantly.

Good thing Dad sprung for that natural gas generator a few years back, though. At least they won't lose power.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ugh. Looks like it's going to push inland to a little east of San Antonio and just park itself.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

A hurricane should not make me want to pronounce its name in Jimmy Stewart's voice.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Fortunately, the Brazos is pretty low right now. Hopefully low enough it can absorb torrential rain and not flood. If your folks are in the Richmond/Rosenberg area, it's certainly a concern, but they're more likely to lose power if the winds come than if it's just heavy rain.

5. I hear Paul Harvey's voice. ... Good day.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

And that little evaporation of water from the ocean's surface turned out to be ... Hurricane Donna.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sending good thoughts to folks down that way. I have family that will be in the "bad" quadrant for quite a few hours, so I know there will be the dumping and dumping of rain to deal with.

Fingers crossed for all.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

"Page two."

"And now you know ... the rest of the story."

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Harvey is already causing problems far out from the center. Flooding already in places up along the Red River in southern Oklahoma.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Up to 30 inches of rain? Geez.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, that escalated quickly. At midnight last night it was forecast to "maybe" become a hurricane before landfall, and be mostly a rain event.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Was right at the add-one-club level of humidity here in North Texas this morning ...

Draft saved Draft deleted