1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Huntsville Times buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, Jan 22, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Wait. This paper is accepting buyouts but the editor hired someone?

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've stopped counting.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So then the number is 3....

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Editor hired a special friend, you might say

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Whatever.
    Maturity is a blessed event. Think about it.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I do. Everytime I read your litter.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For my money, McCarter is the best sports columnist in that state. It'd be a shame if he left.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

And let's see how do we play this one? I'll troll you. Then you'll see if you can top my troll.... aw, you don't have a clue. Have a good one.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Update.

McCarter (finest columnist in the South, IMHO) is not leaving. But newsroom number far exceeds what management expected, former co-worker told me tonight.

Decisions are due by the end of business today. 19 in the newsroom have submitted buyout paperwork, at least 1, maybe 2 more expected today, he thinks. Could possibly lose 21 of 79 from the newsroom ... He says they now stand to lose 7 of 12 on news desk, including all the 1A and Business page designers. Either 2 or 3 from Sports. They're also losing the entire Editorial page staff.

Unreal. And buddy says all buyout requests will likely be accepted. Crazy shit.

Hate to see a good paper get dismantled like this. A Newhouse paper, too.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A 50k daily has 79 newsroom employees? That seems like a lot.

(Of course, working at a 40k that only has 29 in the newsroom might be skewing my perception.)

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

H-times and mobile easily are the most ambitious papers in the state. They don't mind spending and doing things that make them better. that's why they are the best two papers in the state, in my opinion anyway.
    On the other hand, Birmingham News really only cares about two things -- the professional teams known as Alabama and Auburn. That's why the news wouldn't share auburn, alabama content with the sister papers when they were re-structuring those beats, at least that's what a few people told me.

12. Toot My Horn

Toot My Horn New Member

Shame on the gossip vine's misinformation ... New HT editor could not have hired his "special friend" b/c Newhouse' nepotism rules are too strict. (Insert lame Alabama joke about being able to boink your kin but not hire her.)
    My pal in the newsroom says the paper's generous buyouts were a blessing to those who took them and even made eligibles who weren't near retirement age consider option of taking the money and hunting new occupation.
    And while McCarter gets props for his prose, the new guy Bryant has more to say and might be a better columnist, IMHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted