1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hunger Games?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Mar 30, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The concept of the Hunger Games (kids killing kids) really isn't what it's about though (especially once they get to the next two movies), it's about a girl causing a revolution. The Peeta/Katniss/Gale relationship is a part of it...but it's way below the rest of the story, which is about President Snow ruling with an iron fist and the fight against him and his corrupt government.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about people believing the story is 'too dark for teens.'

3. spikechiquet

Good point.

Much of the killing is done the Shakespearean way, implied (cannon shots mostly). I can only think of 4 deaths really Rue, the kid that threw the spear at Rue, Cato and the kid that got stung to death (must have been related to MaCaulay Culkin) by the Jackers.

This movie is not "Faces of Death" by any means.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Are there really people who think that Jennifer Lawrence is fat? They were joking about that on the radio just now - not about her being fat, about people thinking that.

Of course, I bristled when they pulled out the "real women" card to play.

5. spikechiquet

I'm sure there are people that will say that....doesn't make it true.

6. Dick Whitman

I don't think it's true. I think she's gorgeous.

But ... who is saying that? Obviously multiple people, because I've seen people reference it here. And now on mainstream sports talk radio.

I guess probably sites like Deadspin and Big Lead and Gawker, presumably. Or at least the comments.

7. spikechiquet

I'm not going to do a google search for you Dick. Lots of places have mention that she was "too thick" for the role of a girl from a starving district of miners. Which has a valid point...stupid and pointless since she was wonderful as Katnis...but people will bitch about anything, especially behind a keyboard.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Wife and I went to see it yesterday – first movie we've been to at the theater in ages. Neither one of us had read the books, so we were going in pretty blind.

We both liked it. Very riveting and it moves along at a good pace. And, yes, Jennifer Lawrence is very easy on the eyes, and she's got a great screen presence.

I actually thought it was very appropriate for teens. The fact of kids killing kids for sport is not the real issue. The theme that I took from it was that love and hope are stronger than hate and fear.

I also thought the movie did a good job of contrasting the harsh realities of life in the outlying districts with the opulence and decadence of the Capitol.

9. turski7

turski7 Member

Actually, I think they showed about half the kids getting killed. A bunch were shown at the Cornucopia including the kid who gets knifed when running at Katniss. Glimmer (head smashed by Thresh) at the end and the kid who had his neck snapped by Cato after the supplies were blown.
    When I read the first book I was surprised there wasn't more description of the killings, but then remembered the book is through Katniss' eyes and she couldn't see every kill.
    The movie could have easily been rated R, but they used different camera angles to get a PG13 rating because of the money at stake with the younger crowd, obviously. I was worried it would be too commercial driven, but I think they pulled it off. I don't agree with two "Mockingjay" films. That's the route of Twilight for sure.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never read any of the books and have no intention of reading them.
    We saw it opening weekend, and it was OK. Too long.
    I've seen that actress in a few movies now, notably 'Winter's Bone', and she's quite good.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You know, if Katniss and Peeta were a real couple, their Hollywood name would be "Peniss."

12. Dick Whitman

Not asking you to. I was just wondering about the general context of this, since I've heard it mentioned now several times that there is a "Jennifer Lawrence is fat" meme out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted