1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hughes No Hitter Alert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 1, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

bigpern...

I did not dismiss my "wonderkid" remark. I said that he pitched better in his second start, but in order for him to be the true savior of the franchise, he should continue with it. I saw flashes of brilliance in his second start versus Texas, but yet again, a lot of pitchers have had success against the Rangers, but not the same degree.

Texas did hit a few deep fly balls to the outfield. I believe Teixeira or Blalock had one each in the middle innings of the game.

Ryan Madson is not a "little-known" Phillies pitcher. He may not be the biggest name on the team, but he made a lot of noise when he was called up; with his pitching. I believe he will be figured out, because just like Madson, he has two solid pitches. Madson had the fastball and change-up, with the change being his out pitch. It helped him through his first year, and like I said his ERA was miniscule until he faced the White Sox. Hughes has good location on his fastball, and the curve that he can throw for strikes and drop in when he needs to. I would not call his change-up one of his "plus pitches" yet, so he has two, just like Madson had when he came into the league. Madson tried to develop a slider this past off-season, but Edgar Renteria sent those plans back to the drawing board. Teams discovered Madson would only throw his change on certain counts and they waited on it. I can see teams doing the same with Hughes and his curveball.

Hughes has talent, I am not going to argue that. I do not "just want to see him fail." I want to see the kid do well. I just see a striking similarity with Madson, so we'll see how his future develops.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Yankees dump conditioning coach Marty Miller

Leaves a legacy of torn hamstrings.

paraphrasing - "Marty just get the eff out of here. You're bad luck."

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Regarding No. 1... now that you mention it, you're right. It wasn't until midway through the season they put him on the ridiculous inning limit. My memory was off when making my initial post.

Sorry for any confusion/misinformation I may have caused.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

The new estimate on Hughes is 6-to-8 weeks instead of 4-to-6 ... and it could be longer

5. Dignan

Dignan Guest

"Director of Performance Enahancement" = D.O.P.E.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yikes. But then, given how it looked, I thought he had caught a break when they said he would miss four to six weeks.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think you just made the argument for signing Clemens, Guy.
    Close to being ready is great. It may mean that the Yanks rotation won't be Vinny from Queens, Benny from the Bronx, Staten Island Sol, Anthony from Brooklyn and Jimmy from Jersey in four or five years.

But for a team whose mandate is to win now and win in the future, doesn't five months of Roger Clemens guarantee the Yankees to opportunity to contend for another championship without depleting the farm system?

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they won't or shoulddn't go after Clemens. But they aren't as desparate as we are lead to believe. The reason Cashman has been collecting young righty arms (I think he overdid it) is because after the rare cases of Phillip Hughes, alot of this is hard to predict, so if you have one good prospect, he might turn in to something (see Wang). If you have 5 of them, there's a pretty good chance for 1 or maybe even 2 to stick.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I get what you're saying, and you do have a point. But is it too much to ask the Ohlendorf, DeSalvo, Clippard and Rasner quartet to come in and be the stopper? Certainly, Cashman has done a marvelous job re-stocking the farm system, but for every highly touted prospect (Hughes) or virtual nobody who turned into an ace (Wang) there is a Generation K.

Besides, and I think this is the most salient point, if the Yankees are in the race and Clemens can be had, Steinbrenner will do everything in his power to sign the future Hall-of-Famer.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

As a Yankee fan who is not a Clemens fan, that's fine with me. It's only money, and he would help.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Phillip Hughes = Sam Militello

And the conditioning coach should have been canned.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Blasphemy, I say!

Draft saved Draft deleted