1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS team wins 100-0, seeks to forfeit game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/highschool/01/22/covenantschool100.ap/index.html

I'm glad to see that despite it happening, they're trying to teach the girls good life lessons, rather than winning at all costs.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I think the way the game was played says much more than the final score.

If the winning team was pressing, leaving in starters until well into the fourth quarter, then it's not honorable.

If, however, the winning team played nothing but subs and a soft zone defense, and the other team simply couldn't make a shot, then what were they supposed to do?

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i couldn't agree more

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Why didn't they just call the game at halftime?

What exactly was the point of letting this farce go on?

Joke.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the team on the losing end wanted to finish the game there is no reason to call it.

I'm with DD on this. If it turns out the winning team was pressing, trapping, etc. then yeah, their head coach should be reprimanded and they should probably forfeit the game. But if they did what they could to keep the score down you move on.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There's the little matter of scoring 100 points though. You don't have time in a high school game to score 100 points without trying -- and hustling.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I was just going to say, there's no freaking way to score 100 points in a girls HS game without trying to run it up the whole time.

No way.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It also seems these teams never should have been playing each other in the first place.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If the other team wasn't pressing and it was subbing, what good is calling a game at halftime. Their backups need playing time. Not their fault if the other team can't score.

But if they were giving the other team the mother in law defense for 32 minutes, the coach should be fired.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Probably not.

But they're both in Dallas and if they're the same size enrollment-wise they probably have to.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you only cover us when we ...., oh never mind.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Disagree, there is if the other team simply can't handle the ball, which I'm sure was the case here. It's amazing how many possessions you can get in 32 minutes when your opponent keeps handing the ball to you.

I'd note that 59 pts were scored in first half, 41 in the second, which suggests that there likely was some effort to ease up. Just not enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted