1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS student kicked out of honors class for cheating; parents sue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 26, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The question he cheated on:

Explain the concept of personal responsibility, using your parents as an example.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

To say nothing of a note on his permanent record that he cheated in an honors program

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

"I DEMAND A NEW QUESTION!!!"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Shocking, America is going down the toilet faster then IJAG responds to cut me down.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Not to be the a-hole here, but this is a sophomore copying a friend's homework. As a journalist, I know it's textbook plagiarism, but -- it's a sophomore copying his friend's homework.

It's not like he bought a term paper or cheated on a test. Personally, I like the school's second-chance policy. It gives the kids a chance to learn their lesson and go on. The school handled it well. As a parent I probably would've been shocked at the severity of the punishment at first but grateful that he got another chance to stay in the program.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My best friend and I had a system for every class we were in together: I'd do the even-numbered questions, and he'd do the odd. Then we'd rewrite each other's answers with completely different wording. We never let anyone in on the system because we didn't think we could trust them to responsibly rewrite the questions with completely different wording or to get the questions right.

It saved a little time, particularly on questions that required research to answer, but it also taught us the material. Moreover, my friend was a great student, but I was a smart slacker. But for those classes where we had the system, I worked my ass off so that my answers wouldn't bring down his grades. To be honest, I'm pretty sure he came up with his own answers a lot of the time anyway. But he made me a better student because I cheated with him. It's weird how that works.

7. Ookpik

Ookpik Member

"I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record."

Oh yeah? Well, don't get so distressed. Did I happen to mention that I'm impressed? ;)

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's an honors program. It's designed to see which sophomores can handle the workload without copying their friends' homework.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

From the father:
    Riiiiiight ...

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Silly me. I actually did my own work when I was in school. What was I thinking?

The kid and his father should both be embarrassed by their behavior.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Note: KIDDING ALERT!

Now I know why I find your baseball economics arguments so not-compelling ... they're your own!

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nah. You just like games where rules are stacked to favor one player over the other.

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted