1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS hoopster suspended for email to coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 7, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My problem is it is faulty. There are too many good reporters who weren't athletes and too many ex-jocks who flat out suck as reportes to see it any other way.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

THERE is the rub with e-mail.

You have NO proof who has sent an e-mail. Ever.

3. outofplace

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_496712.html

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review story on this today, with quotes from the coach. Interesting that there is no byline on it.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Nice to hear another side. And I stand firm in my earlier assessment. If the kid feels in his role as co-captain that he should be able to speak to the coach (in what appears to be a somewhat unprofessional manner...the profanity is a problem, even if the coach uses it), he should also understand that there's a price that comes with that ability to speak.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the kid was smart, he would say he was drunk when he sent the email and thus avoid the suspension.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I was under the influence of prescription medication at the time I wrote the email I was also under the care of a psychiatrist (for issues stemming from not being invited to the party which got busted by the cops).

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'm calling BS on the coach. He says he's not allowed to suspend players for something that happened off school grounds, but unless the kid used a school computer to send the e-mail, he just suspended a kid for something that took place off school grounds.
    Reporter should've called him on that.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Had not thought of that myself. Very good point.

9. outofplace

Good question, but was the email sent to the coach's school email address? Also, this is something directly sent to a school representative, so there is a connection there.

Still, does it bother anybody else that there is no byline on the Trib story?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. It's pretty clear that if you send an email to a school employee it's on your ass. If he sent it to his personal home email, that may be different.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If it's of a threatening nature, sure, it's suspendable. But it just seems that suspending this kid is, at best, a reach. I'd question somebody on the school board that had a hand in establishing this policy, too, to see if he or she thinks justice has been done in this case.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mind-boggling that a major metro paper would care about this.

Draft saved Draft deleted