1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS girl dunks like a Lebron James

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not sure I've ever heard of Charlotte Smith before. Excellent work, ducky!

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Charlotte Smith hit the game-winner for the Tar Holes in the '94 championship. One of her teammates was Marion Jones.

Year, Griner's got a bit of a deep voice, maybe a tenor. So does Cheryl Miller.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh, i agree, but i believe the biggest gain in women's sports is in softball.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I should have known you would know.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I believe the biggest gain is in ice hockey.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

can't say i've ever watched high school or college hockey.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I hope college is good, because high school girls hockey is painfully bad. The biggest gap between boys and girls in any sport I cover.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

thanks to ducky for the info on first woman to dunk in a college game..kept thinking it was Wells....
    and yea, tell me about Charlotte Smith.
    quick story on that wild shot she made to trip Tech in the FF at Richmond. i am covering louisiana tech and with the seconds ticking down and all, i quickly knock out my lead, get everything set up to have my gamer in fairly quick because i got a flight to catch.
    of course, with tech apparently set to win, i angle the story around them.
    then smith hits the fucking shot and bedlam breaks out.
    my friend from the shreveport times had done the same thing..had his lead and story ready to oll, save for us getting the postgame quotes.
    wild.
    it took months for leon barmore to get over that loss and, to be honest, he probably still can't believe they lost it. a proverbial heartbreaker.
    years later, i have to write a feature story for the NCAA's FF game program. they assigned me to do a story on.....Charlotte Smith.
    she was in the wnba at the time, called be back and we reminisced for a while on that crazy shot. i joked with her in saying, "you know you might be the most hated player of Tech fans." and she laughed.
    also starting on that North Carolina team that year: a dethroned gold medal-winning sprinter named Marion Jones.

Draft saved Draft deleted