1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS football state final ends in tie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brookerton, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Yeah, there are no ties in Florida. Overtime is similar to college version, except teams start at the 10, and you don't have to go for two after the second overtime.

There should never be a tie in any sport, in any league, for any reason. Shootouts, penalty kicks, hell, even sudden death overtime (but not that crock the NFL uses with the clock, which could result in a TIE!).

Hell, just pat everyone on the back and tell them what a great game they played. It would please a lot of those nutty parents whose kids are always on loser teams, so they constantly complain about negative newspaper coverage.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Doesn't the NFHSA have a standard overtime procedure? Flip a coin, winner gets option to start on offense or defense, team takes ball on 10, four downs to score.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I liked the old version of determining a winner: deepest penetration.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Ties are horrible for state championships.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i covered a state championship soccer game (in georgia) where the clearly undermanned team just packed it in for 90 minutes and then 30 minute of overtime. the more talented team reacted like they had just lost the title and the less talented team celebrated like they'd won it. i respected one team more than the other

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Florida allowed finals to end in a tie until like 1991 or 1992. Now they have a very shitty "10-yard fight" overtime.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

And if I'm not mistaken, one team gets the trophy and the other gets the "ring" I've seen that happen for one of our local teams here in GA

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

This was an awful system. Maybe worse than ties.

It penalized teams for rising to the occasion on defense. First downs? Way too arbitrary.

Plus there were manipulations of the system from time to time.

I did a column once on a team from Corpus Christi, I think, that was down by a single point with about two minutes left. The other team was marching down the field and the team that was behind took a dive, and let the kid score from 20 yards out or something.

Then the other team went down the field, scored, went for two and made it and advanced on 20-yard line penetrations. Weak.

I can see where people have problems with four plays from the 10 ... but the NCAA overtime rule is pretty fair. And it should always be used in state playoffs situations.

Nice column by Curtis Bunn in the AJC.

9. I don't know if it's still the case, but Missouri used to have provisions for breaking ties in football playoff games, but not in the state title game.

At least twice in the last 20 years, a Missouri football state title game ended in a tie. (I think one of them was Camdenton-Marshall in Class 4A sometime in the mid-to-late 1980s. Can't remember the other).

Wonder if they sawed the trophy in half?

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Florida used to. One of the coaches in the AAAAA final tied for a state title in 1982. According to the AJC article, the NFHSA does not have a requirement for tiebreakers in football championship games.

This is, and always has been, ridiculous. It's competition, and the point of competition is to decide who's better. But it's OK in the championship to say, well, OK, neither one's better? Please. I'd say it was typical of the dumbing down of the american educational system, except this arrangement has been in place in Georgia for decades.

Ties make nobody happy.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Like kissing your sister. So I guess it's accepted there. [/mizzou]

;)

Draft saved Draft deleted