1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS coaches just don't get it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Glen Rosales, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Glen Rosales

Glen Rosales Member

I had to throw this out there...
    Our local prep editor and a TV sports guy were asked by the flak for the NM high school sports association to speak at a coaches association meeting regarding relating to the media.
    The seminar immediately prior on officiating was jam packed.
    The seminar in question, not so much. Zero coaches. Nada. Zip. Zilch.
    Ya gotta love it.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Sounds about right.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

maybe the coaches can BLOG! and there will be no need for the media.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Introducing, Gannett's newest creation:

www.highschoolsports.net

Careful what you ask for Tom.

Gannett has high hopes for highschoolsports.net. Their fairy tale plans are to have 100 percent participation from all schools and have high school players, coaches, fans all blogging and submitting videos and photos.

Yay.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

awesome pull, stagger.

HS coaches and communications skills ... a true match made in heaven.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

There's serious interest in the topic of officiating because of the officials shortage.

There's no interest in the topic of media because there is no shortage of print, tv, radio or internet media (let alone fanboi blogs, booster websites, and the "bloggy spawn" that is scout.com, rivals.com, maxpreps.com, etc.) hanging on the every word of kids not yet old enough to vote.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

WEST SIDE HIGH 59, EAST SIDE HIGH 6
    West sIde hiGh is da best! F**k you Easties! Aron Eddwords through four 518 yards and 12 touchdowns to lede us vicktory. He thru six teedees 2 Bobi Myller who allso, cuaht, ate too point cunverseons. Miller had 298 yards reeseeveeng. On DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEfence, Billy "The Bad Man" Wallker lived up two his Knickname bi having 21 sacks. F**k you Easties! I'm going to screw my wive's breains out 2nite!--Coach Cleetus T. Jones

And then, of course, the writeup from East Side High in which they win 21-18.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So cheer for dear old East Side High.........

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Must...resist...Lean on Me threadjack...

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

As of right now, nobody can figure out a way to keep players/fans/parents from updating (ie changing) their team's stats, so I can't wait for the first day to wake up and see right guard Tub O'Lard listed with 1,000 yards rushing and 28 TDs.

I wonder if anybody ever thinks out ideas these days, or they just throw stuff out there and hope it sticks.

11. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Never knew Gannett ran that site.

Until last fall, we didn't have computers with browsers that could open it. About half of our coverage schools refused to fax in schedules because "we could just get it from the site." Made assembling a tab much more fun.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Only cooked spaghetti sticks.

Draft saved Draft deleted