1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS cheerleaders "execute" mock rival cheerleaders

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Oct 14, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No, you should be uncomfortable.

In this day and age, those students should get a three-day vacation, the cheerleading sponsor should be removed from that position and a very nice apology from the school admin should be delivered from the principal to the rival principal.

In this day and age, there is no place for guns in schools.

In. any. way. shape. or. form.

2. 93Devil

Columbine?

Sheeeeeeeeeeettttttttttt

What about some Amish girls in Pennsylvania or some students at Virginia Tech?

Columbine is almost a decade old.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't have a problem with it at all. I can see where some people would think differently, but I'm confident that no student walked away from that pep rally thinking it'd be a good idea to shoot a rival cheerleader in the head.

I think some people are assuming the opposite is true, which, in my opinion, is thinking way too low of today's children. These kids aren't as dumb as you think, just like you weren't as dumb as your parents thought and how your parents weren't as dumb as your grandparents thought.

I honestly think there's too much babying kids' actions, and I thought the same thing when I was growing up.

4. 93Devil

Mike, there are 25,000 kids in my county's school district, and all it takes is one gun and one kid.

And I will bet a month's paycheck that at least one of those 25,000 are confused, pissed, alone and any other combination of emotions to do something terrible.

I can only pray they don't continue those emotions for a long enough period to do something awful to themselves or someone else.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'm with Mikey 100 percent on this.

You're right too, though, Devil. Guaranteed at least a few of those 25,000 kids are of the mindset that killing might solve their problems. That's the case whether or not put cheerleaders put on a skit involving guns. Furthermore, if anyone uses the whole "well, the cheerleaders made me do it" excuse, they were going to do it anyway.

I'm INSANELY liberal when it regards speech and performances. I think a lot of shit on TV and in the movies is terrible, but, like this stunt, the responsibility to educate falls on the parents' shoulders. Nowhere else.

Was the stunt in poor taste? Sure. Will anyone die because of it? Not unless they were going to already.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So what do you suggest? Lock them up in a bubble the rest of their lives because they've got emotions that everyone else on the planet has?

I really don't see a toy gun -- and they were obviously fake-looking; it's not like the guns from Airheads -- flipping a switch in a kid's head, making them say, "Hey, they brought them in, so maybe it's OK for me to bring in mine? ..." or worse. I really don't. Call me naive or too trusting or dumb. I don't care.

I think, in a lot of ways, taking too much precaution with high school kids -- and kids, in general -- can be just as damaging, if not more, than letting them be kids and learning their own ways.

I come from a family of teachers -- my parents taught in the New York school system for 65 years combined, my aunts and uncles teach, my sister does, too, etc. -- not to mention a lot of close friends (in several different states and levels), and I don't think I'd find one person who would advocate treating their kids with gloves and setting them out into the world pretty much clueless.

And I'm not saying you're doing that in this example; it's much more of a rant by now, I'm sure. It's just a big pet peeve. I know school shootings have occurred, and they're serious. But I think, this skit, with all the girls -- "rival" and home -- smiling, was harmless. It was politically incorrect, for sure, but it wasn't promoting violence.

7. 93Devil

You have to draw a line with things. Guns, drugs and others need to have a very strong line that is placed outside the school.

So would it be OK for UVA to do the same skit against Virginia Tech?

There are 1,000s of other skits to do. Why settle for this?

8. 93Devil

What about this school playing an inner city school and having those rival players cuffed and thrown in jail?

If you allow a little, you start to allow a lot.

The best word in the English language is no and the worst word is yes. You can always change a no to a yes, but you cannot change a yes to a no. [/BobKnight]

So now you have said yes to using gun images in school routines. What's next.

I know this might sound very strict, but you are strict with the little shit so you don't have to deal with the big shit.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But what danger is that skit causing? I think it's a personal preference, for certain. But it's only dangerous, in my mind, to those who are sure something bad is going to happen. I'm not saying let the kids do whatever they please; there are lines -- like in the ridiculous example you offered -- people should not approach.

But that skit wasn't a recreation of Columbine or any other school shooting. It was like those from old Western movies. What's next: No kid should be allowed to watch Clint Eastwood flicks or horror movies or Juno because they include behavior most would not want their kids to recreate?

You can only make so many rules and laws to prohibit the actions of children before it becomes detrimental. Pretty soon, the creativity is stunted and they're afraid to take risks or speak their minds, rendering them into drones, acting and doing things only how they've been told. And change will be nowhere in sight.

Let kids be kids. Growing up, my parents trusted me enough to do the right things. I knew right and wrong without having to be told -- more or less. I learned more from my mistakes than I did from my successes. I'm afraid that if we continue to treat kids like lesser humans, they won't feel the independence and the trust necessary to become functional adults.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know Nacogdoches High...that's right up the highway.

I didn't hear of this before, but...

EEK!

That was truly bad judgement on someone's part.

11. 93Devil

Once again, why do it if you take the chance (a good chance) that you will offend someone?

That is why these teenagers have adults coaching them and sponsoring them. The adults should have known better.

I'm guessing not one student has ever been shot in violence at either of these two schools.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I cannot comprehend that people are defending this. It's not "kids being kids" -- it's horrific judgment, both on the students' part and especially on the part of the adult(s) who allowed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted