1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS cheerleaders "execute" mock rival cheerleaders

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2008/10/10/high-school-cheerleaders-under-fire-for-staging-mock-executions/?icid=100214839x1211067525x1200697957

I'm uncomfortable with this.

I'm sure I'm in the minority.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They're kids. Kids are stupid.

This doesn't bother me much. I think it's something adults have rightly become sensitive to since Columbine, but it was pretty harmless. I don't think you'll have a spate of cheerleader killings in the near future because of it.

The only thing that bothers me about it is that was unsportsmanlike. I prefer to see schools encourage fans to cheer for their school, not against the other. But then again, when I was in high school, I was among the rowdy hecklers. I grew up. Most of these kids will, too. The ones who don't probably won't go around executing cheerleaders.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And, no, Simon, I'm not just trying to disagree with you. ;)

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm all for whatever creativity is needed to stop another school from using the same frakking cheer as everyone else.

I swear, if I have to hear "Everybody do that (insert team nickname here) rumble, everybody do that (insert team nickname here) rumble" again, I'm going to go insane. :)

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, what disturbed me more than the mock execution was that a couple of students wrote an editorial for the school paper criticizing the stunt, and the school wouldn't let it run. According to the excerpt in the story, it looks like a well-reasoned, even-handed piece saying it was wrong and the principal should not have allowed it; I guess the school bosses can't stand taking any criticism.

BTW, this does kind of remind me of a school election assembly at my high school about 23 years ago. The favored candidate for student body president, a "most likely to succeed" type with quite a sense of humor, came on to give his campaign speech when a couple of other students came out in suits, shades and fedoras carrying toy machine guns and started walking the aisles (the inference was not lost on the amused audience).

After our candidate finished his speech, another student planted in the middle of the auditorium gets up, yells for everyone to hear "Well, I'm not gonna vote for (candidate)," and goes to walk out when the machine guns guys grab him, drag him up to the stage and with the candidate's order "execute" him, after which the candidate ends the speech with "Vote for me if you know what's good for you."

FWIW, I don't remember anybody complaining about the sketch. We figured with this guy it was par for the course. Of course, this was a few years before Columbine happened.

6. the principal's quote in that story scares me as much as the censorship does.

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I thought the skit was awful. The fact that the editorial was prevented was a disgrace.

8. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Most? Have you read our politics board? Or followed the election at all? It's all about bashing the other "team" these days, sports or otherwise. Nobody wants his team to win, they all want the rival to lose.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

You just don't do shit like that.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There is a part of me that wants to say, "what the hell, they're kids". I mean we played with guns as a kid and I did not grow up to be a gun advocate so its hard to stomach. But as I raise my kids in today's society, the last thing I want is for them to think guns are okay.

11. KG

KG Active Member

The execution style skit was of poor taste. I can't say too much though, my school used to have a bonfire before homecoming (right after the parade) and they always threw a stuffed dummy dressed in our opposing team's colors into the flames.

12. Ahh, my old neck of the woods. Why am I not surprised?

Draft saved Draft deleted