1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HS AD quits because of parents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There are a lot of holes in this story, especially caused by the PD apparently making no attempt to talk to any parents. If you're got a roster list, can't you give them a call to see what happened?

Reading between the lines, this AD screwed up by not checking with the state association regarding eligiblity rules, and the parents -- perhaps deservedly -- gave him hell for it. Did they go over the line? We don't know. Had there been problems between this AD and parents before? We don't know. Without knowing those things, it sounds more to me like this AD and the school are using bad ol' parents as a scapegoat for their own failures.

2. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

At the risk of outing myself, I live in the area where this whole fiasco has been going on, and I've been following it very closely. It was, plain and simple, a screw-up on the part of the school administration. And it was not the first serious blunder involving this athletic director.

And I'm still marveling at how this whole thing got started. The team had two players who had been academically ineligible for the entire season, and once they finally got their grades above board, their first match back was a regional final. How do you feel if you're a player on that team that busted your ass all year to help your team reach the final eight in the state, only to learn you're losing playing time to a couple guys who were ineligible all season?

3. chester

chester Member

When it all originally broke on Tuesday, the Mentor soccer coach said it was somebody from the school it beat in the regional finals who called the OHSAA. The OHSAA said it didn't start looking into it until an "anonymous phone call" tipped them off. That call came on Tuesday morning, the same day Mentor was to play in the state semifinals. Now that team, Massillon Jackson, is playing for a state championship tonight. Talk about strange.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Does Phil Fulmer coach Massillon Jackson?

Edit: Or Bruce Pearl?

5. chester

chester Member

Supposedly, the call was because there were two players playing - the two ineligible ones - who weren't on the roster when the teams met earlier in the season (as in, second game of the season). Again, that all could just be a soccer coach who messed up trying to shift the blame to somebody else.

6. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

as the parent of a college athlete, I would agree completely. I'm not one of the nut cases, but me and the other knuckleheads should stay far, far away and let the coaches, ADs and officials do their jobs without me interfering.

7. I fence, too, and we're after your ass.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Good for him. Parents suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted