1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Howard wins NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Nov 20, 2006.

1. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Howard's defense is horrible. His baserunning is horrible. He hits home runs. That's all he does. It's good for the Phils because he's great at it.

Pujols is a vastly superior all-around player and a better overall hitter.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

OK then.

Pujols was hosed and jobbed.

Ryan Howard, meet Terry Pendleton in 1991.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The thing is, Howard had a great season. Truly remarkable. But Pujols was more valuable. It's a shame when the best player in the game doesn't get the best honor.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Do these baseball writers ever watch anyone play defense, run bases.... all the stuff jag mentioned?

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Casty, I have no qualms with Howard's win. I just feel bad for Pujols because it seems like he'll need to win the Triple Crown to get the award.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

In game 157, Albert Pujols hit a three-run HR that allowed the Cardinals to make the playoffs.... and certainly allowed La Russa to start Carpenter in Game 1 of the NLDS.

To have had that great of a year... with THAT sort of incredible moment.....

Another baseball writer crime.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nope. Just you.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, they play poker with Ricky Henderson and Bobby Bonilla while working games.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, they play solitaire and stem the rose.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

How was Howard's selection -- I'll go out on a limb and say you disagree ::) -- on the order of Pendleton in '91? Bonds had an off-year (for him), and Pendleton's intangibles were a huge part of the reason the Braves rallied to win the NL West.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

P'shaw. Everyone knows that Ryan Howard was named MVP just to spite pube.

12. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Seems to me that defense, baserunner and being clutch means nothing in the NL race but in the AL circa 2005 it means everything except that clutch thing because we know A-Fraud is not clutch.

Draft saved Draft deleted