1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Young is Too Young...For Sleepaway Camp?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I ran into a former coworker over the weekend. When I asked about his kids, he said they were away at sleepaway camp for 4 weeks. The youngest one is 8 1/2 and he's been going for 3 years. Isn't 5 1/2 awfully young for sleepaway camp? I was little miss homesick when I was a kid, and it never would have worked for me, so I'm a bad judge. What do you guys think?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think it depends on the kid. I was PETRIFIED the first time I spent the night at my friend's house, but I grew out of it. So if the kid started sleeping over at friends' at a young age, they might be ready by the time they're 5 1/2.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We couldn't afford sleepaway camp.
    We called it the back yard.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I worked for nine years at a sleepaway camp and five is. Very young. Seven is a little safer, but not all kids can handle it then either.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i was a counselor at a camp for rich yuppie new yorkers for a couple years a long time ago and some of these housewives sent off their four year olds. four is way, way too young.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Which camp? Starlight? Wayne? Bnai Brith? Timberland?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is it sad that this was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread?
    Hint: If one of the female counselors has a penis, steer clear.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Under 18 in most jurisdictions.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I am working at a camp this summer. It's complete hell. My salary comes to less than $2 an hour.

The youngest residental (I have never heard the term "sleepaway" before) campers are 7 but most are 10 and up.

There is a day camp, too. The official young age is 7, but there's a 4-year-old who is far more well behaved than the older kids. I don't think he could handle an overnight camp.

We encounter enough homesickness with the tweens and teens. I wouldn't want any younger whippersnappers.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was 8 1/2 the first time I went off to summer camp. It was very structured and there were lots of things to do, and I made tons of friends from all over, but it seemed like an eternity and I remembered being ecstatic to be home after it was over.

That age is probably close to the limit for four weeks, although you probably won't cause any lasting harm if you shipped a younger kid off.

11. ripple

ripple Member

Interesting, because we always used "overnight" camp. I think it started at 8 or 9.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Let 'em sail around the world first.

If they make it back, they're old enough for sleepaway camp.

Draft saved Draft deleted