1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you like to be a college kid ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SF_Express, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Come on now, MacDaddy, didn't you know that those of us at SeahawkSportsJournalists.com count that as a Super Bowl title? Just ask the SteelerSportsJournalists.com crew, they will admit the Seahawks won it all, though apparently the NFL recognizes the Steelers and the referees as winning the 2006 Super Bowl.

2. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

The best part is that, outside the Yankees, the other three all won within three weeks of each other. Stars won on June 20th (game started June 19th), WWC ended July 10th and the Spurs were somewhere in between.

A wonderful three weeks to be a kid from Texas.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Hey, it happened for the Tigers last year. Don't give up hope.

4. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

2004 in Connecticut ...

UConn women's basketball won a third straight national title (if you don't live in CT, you might not realize how big a deal this was in-state for your casual sports fans).
    UConn men's basketball won their second national title.
    New England Patriots won their third Super Bowl in four years.
    And the Red Sox won their first World Series in 86.

The joke was (much like S_F's lament) there were some in the younger generation who didn't realize it's not always going to be like this.

[Unfortunately for me, I dislike both UConn and the Patriots, so I could only celebrate the Red Sox. But I have seen three titles from the Cowboys, three from the Devils and a NCAA basketball championship (and countless softball titles) from UCLA. Still waiting on the New England Revolution. :) ]

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There are children in New York who are 7 years old and don't know what a Yankees' World Series win is like.
    Think of the children!

6. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Are you a UCLA alum as well, or do you just root for the teams?

7. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

No alum. I'm one of those cheesy guys that roots for a college I never attended.
    Of course, having never attended college (one year of incompletes at Northeastern doesn't count), my loyalties aren't tied to anywhere.
    Being a UCLA fan ... long story.
    Short version: Goes back to being a kid and watching New Year's Day bowl games with my Grandma. Back then, the Rose was the big afternoon game ... watch the parade, watch the early Cotton Bowl action, tune in for the Rose ['82 win over Michigan, '83 win over Illinois & '85 win over Iowa] and I was usually asleep somewhere in the middle of the evening games.

Draft saved Draft deleted