1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you improve sports broadcasts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Only show graphics between the action in football and baseball. I bought a big screen to see games, not names and numbers.

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Oh, yeah. Forgot one and this'll take three words: Less Chris Berman.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Shark tank and stripper pole at the 50.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Even better -- NO Chris Berman ... EVER!

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Still my biggest problem with broadcasts is the massive time devoted to commercial breaks. I think the NFL added in more this year, which is why the late games officially start at 4:25 p.m. ET. And if you're at the stadium you see that players and coaches just spend most of that time standing around doing nothing.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Stop with the storylines and 'keys to the game'. Just useless clutter.

Never cut to crowd shots and shots of the bench in close basketball games, unless the clock is stopped. Directors should be fired if,when a team makes a basket, he/she switches to a crowd, or bench shot, and we miss a turnover, or play on the court.

7. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Recognize conflicts of interest.

A few years ago, I swear, FOX' national broadcast would get Thom Brennaman to cover every single D-Backs game despite the fact that he was their regional announcer. They even had him doing playoff games they were in. Ridiculous. And he was every bit as biased and lousy as you'd expect.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

For college basketball and NBA, no timeouts in the last three minutes except for injuries. Really, five minutes would be even better. Nobody wants to watch a game devolve into a chess match of free-throw shooting.

It really screws the fans. All the buildup to a big finish, and then this bullshit slow-dance that takes 30 minutes to complete. Sucks the momentum right out of the game. Really kills the upset factor sometimes, too. Play the game to the buzzer.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The premise of this thread is completely wrong. Working for a TV network (and knowing lots of people who work for other networks), I can tell you serious sports fans are taken quite seriously. For example, lots of the scrolling -- especially during NFL games -- is Fantasy Football information. That's a relatively new phenomenon, and it's not for your grandmother.

You would be shocked at the amount of infighting that goes on to protect the hardcore fan from even more intrusions. To me, the biggest broadcast issue is that producers can't stop tinkering. They want "NEW!" to create "BUZZ!" The moment they come up with one idea, they can't wait to try the next one.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, fuck the Fantasy Football crowd. There's a game on.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As DickWhitman said showing the full field would be great, especially as a replay on a passing play. Watching receivers routes and line play, at the same time, would be interesting. Show it from the Free Safety perspective, even on a running play.

More commentary on schemes, I learned more playing one season of Madden then I have in 42 years of watching games live and in person.

Cut the obvious crap, we already know that when a team is trailing by one score and its late in the game that converting a third down is crucial. Given the fact that teams score on about 5 of their 15 possessions, every third down conversion is important.

12. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

I would like to see an end zone camera displaying a north/south view rather than east/west. That view would highlight the holes that the offensive line would open, the receiver routes, the qb's reads, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted