1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How would you design the Tuesday front?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Sep 1, 2008.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Assuming you are not on the Gulf Coast or Alaska, you have two huge stories tomorrow morning (plus anything major locally).

What would your A-1 look like?

This is honest curiosity.

I am going to ask me friends who are not in Journalism, too.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to have a Tuesday front. We're a five-day a week paper, Tues.-Sat. mornings. Because our publisher wants everyone to get Labor Day off as the company policy says they're entitled to, we're not in tonight and there's no Tuesday paper.

I have a juco football game from Saturday that has to wait until Wednesday to see print because of this. Same thing happened Memorial Day weekend. All the state track stuff had to wait until Wednesday.

Fourth of July, we worked the 3rd on the paper for the 5th. Which means our weekender on July 5 had no references about what happened July 4. That had to wait unti the following Tuesday.

I did work today...on the local high school team's story for the football preview tab, which prints Thursday.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I'd devote the sports front to Ocho Cinco, but that's just me. ;)

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My paper's so hyperlocal we probably would have nothing on Gustav or Palin.

However, if I were designing an A1 for a paper with some national focus, I'd focus on Gustav. The Republican national convention would get second billing.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

Gustav would be the dominant package. I might strip Palin across the top, though.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What did your publisher's family members and/or friends do yesterday?

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Beats the hell out of me. They live in another town across the state line.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Doesn't matter. It's still front-page news.

9. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

When you say Palin, what Palin story are you talking about?

If I were a woman (shaddup, Slappy, or I'll bitch-slap ya), I would be absolutely offended at the coverage in the last 24-48 hours on her daughter being pregnant. My paper put it on the front page, and I'm pissed.

Tell me, if Biden's teenage son were to have knocked up his girlfriend, would that be on the front page?

And all this crap about a woman being distracted from being able to do a job because her child is pregnant? What kind of horseshit is that? When is the last time a man was asked questioned about the ability to do a job when one of his kids were preggers?

The moveon.org blogosphere should be ashamed of itself, with the network anchors and reporters coming in a close second.

I will give Obamanation props, though, when he said he was born of an 18-year-old mom. Right there is the end of story.

So move on, moveon.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I already said my peace: The Republican National Convention. The fact Sarah Palin is in line to be officially nominated to be the second female vice presidential candidate and the first GOP running mate is historic.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I hate when politics gets involved.

The McCain camp released it as news, and her spokeman said it was released directly to counter the Internet rumors about her son.

I think it's legitimate news.

12. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Fournier fan boy?
    I don't think I'd go that far.
    Childhood friend who lived around the block? Yes.
    Comes from a hard-working, excellent family in Detroit? Double yes.
    But a fan? I am no fan of any drive-by media scribe (except you, Slappy) ... especially Olberman. What a slime he's become on PMSNBC.

Draft saved Draft deleted