1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How will you play two big sports stories that both deserve centerpiece status?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Jul 23, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Re: How will you play two big sports stories that both deserve centerpiece statu

Well, Xan, you know our news play is predicated on how hard the athlete works.

Just ask the high school swimmers. ;D

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I hear y'all. I'm just saying that sans Lance, this wasn't an American's year to win the Tour.

And then an American wins the Tour.

But I also know the hump-lust the golfing world has for Tiger.

An earlier post said that Landis essentially won the Tour yesterday. Well, unless I'm mistaken, Tiger has never lost a major he's led after 36 holes. So, he had this wrapped up Friday. But now I'm just picking nits.

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

Re: How will you play two big sports stories that both deserve centerpiece statu

So what's your point? There'll be Super Bowls, Final Fours and World Series for the next however many centuries and they'll lead just about every section. You have the biggest name winning a major in a game that draws far more interest than cycling. This is  easy. Tiger dominates; the Tour is the at best the No. 2 story.

4. Songbird

I made my point earlier: Tiger's going to win 10 more, 15 more, 25 more majors. How is winning this one the greatest thing since sliced bread? Oh, wait, his dad died, so it's all of a sudden important and emotional. But read my previous post, too. I understand the heirarchy of sports in America. Cycling is the anus of anal sex, and golf is ... well, you know.

Both were fine accomplishments.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, now, c'mon. It IS the No. 2 story. Even in the shadow of Pocono, that doesn't beat out the Tour to me.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Songbird ... I've REALLY got to question your sense of news judgement.

Of course, at our shop (in Virginia), we also had a local guy win the State Open golf championship, so that gets big play too. Plus ACC media days. The Tour may have easily been shipped inside.

You'll say: American winning the Tour versus football media days? Yeah, and football will win 120 times out of 100. That's our readership. Cater to it, not some jingoistic notion that anyone gives two shits about Floyd Landis.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Again, I'm with Xan that far. Tour over football media days. Real news.

8. Songbird

The beautiful thing about a front page is that there's enough room for 4-5 stories, so one way or the other it gets decent play. It's not that big of a deal to me. It's fascinating, though, to get an understanding of mindsets across America on this issue. That's why this site is great because it connects minds.

And my news judgment is pretty good, I think. I mean, c'mon, I'm putting a stand-alone swimming photo on B1 this week. :D

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not in our hood, shot. Not by a longshot. Our readers care intensely about our two DI football teams, and it'll get front-page play before the Tour, as much because of news cycle issues as anything ... the Tour probably gets a Page 1 tease and gets put inside (though I could be wrong, I wasn't in the office tonight much except to turn in expenses).

I don't care how hard Floyd Landis worked. I know our market, and cycling barely registers here. The two golf events, ACC media days and NASCAR are all above Floyd in the pecking order.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Xan ... the news judgement comment came from your comment about, c'mon, Tiger's going to win more majors. This was a big deal because of all the extraneous, human elements involved. Not only with Tiger, but with Chris DiMarco, too.

11. Keystone

Keystone Member

Just put our front page to bed.

The final lineup:

Landis (grew up 30 minutes away)
    Tiger
    Pocono 500
    High school football coach not moving to former school's archrival

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

No, it's important because it's the final round of a major golf tournament, and there's more interest in this country in golf than cycling. Tiger winning is a major subplot. For the record, I don't like golf. And the Tour is a great story. But the British Open runs lead.

Draft saved Draft deleted