1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How was Paterno coverage played in your area?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Nov 10, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

For those who still take/work for dead-tree versions, how did your publication this morning play what I think is the biggest scandal in college athletics ever.

Out here:

A tiny, 30-point headline and two paragraphs at the bottom of A1 (AP story) jumped with a timeline inside.

Column in the upper left corner on C1 jumped with an AP sidebar on potential replacements and an AP sidebar on players saying they will perform.

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

The 'YOUR AD HERE Times' had 1A centerpiece with wire news story.
    Sports centerpiece built around 2 staff columns. Inside staff story on potential legal issues ahead for Paterno (similar to SI.com's excellent piece yesterday).
    Haven't seen what Tampa Bay's other paper did.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Took it on our front the first two days, then news wanted it, only because our competitor had centerpieced with it the last two days. Fine with me ... was up to here with volleyball and water polo playoffs and the first round of early signing day stories.

I think I'm more comfortable with the newsies having it. I keep thinking of some kid who's 9-11, about the same age I was when I started reading the sports pages seriously, reading some of the stories, looking up and asking, "Mommy, what were the man and the boy doing in the shower?"

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We're 2,000 miles from Pennsylvania, and had been chock full of local (including another major college coach getting the heave-ho the other day), so we hadn't been running it front page. Inside, with a refer on the sports cover, mostly. And, of course, our stories are all the AP stuff.
    Today, things slowed down on the local front so we played it up big. Basically the top half of the sports cover.
    I was amazed, however, at the local TV news. The breaking news of the firing led all of their 10 p.m. broadcasts last night. Not sports, mind you, but the top of the show.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Toronto is not exactly a hotbed of college football - either Canadian or US (RIP International Bowl) - although there are plenty of Michigan, Notre Dame and Ohio State fans up here (and at least one who stands by The U) but the Toronto Sun sports section had Paterno's pic on the front page and a column much deeper inside.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1A and the cover of sports.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

We just had statewide elections this week, so News has had no interest in it. Sports stripped it across the top of the front page of the section with a fairly large banner hed and a photo on Wednesday.

We had two fairly substantial local stories that we were playing up in today's Sports section, and a planned big high school football playoff package on 1A. The Sports layout guy had the "Paterno Retires" story downpage on the Sports front with a photo, and I guess he decided he didn't want to re-do his front when the firings broke late. Had a long sidebar on Paterno and a who's-next story inside, both by AP. If it had been me, I'd have junked the Sports front layout (which was boring anyway) and played Paterno big. But it wasn't my call.

8. We almost never put sports on page 1.. It has to be locally HUGE for that happen. It was teased ourt front.
    It was lead sports story, with a timeline.
    Also, a column and a side bar reaction story from a couple of guys from our area who played for Paterno; both thought it was lynch mob Joepa was fired.

Sidenote:
    Some older PSU fans and beat guys may remember; Sandusky was hired to coach at Marshall University circa 1974. He acepted the job, but backed out a day later, opting to remain at State College.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We played it above the fold.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Did you use wires?

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No, we had a couple of editors hold it up there.

Ba-boom-boom.

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

For Thursday morning, we had the primary story stripped across the top of 1C, then on an inside ad page (we had 4 3/4 pages to our disposal, so a little extra space), we had three sidebars:

- Russo's story on Urban Meyer and the potential successors
    - Russo's story on the other college scandals (CCNY, Baylor, etc.)
    - Rusty Miller's story on player playing through the distractions

Draft saved Draft deleted