1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to tip movers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Apr 17, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have two men arriving at 10 a.m. Thursday with a 17-foot truck to move me from one side of town to the other. I have limited furniture (couch, two tables, entertainment center, computer desk, bed, dresser, vanity) and a bunch of boxes. The estimate is $60 an hour, five hours (counting travel time) and $40 in gas money. So $340.

How much do I tip on that? I guess you're supposed to tip movers, right?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How far away are you moving?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

10 miles?

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

On $340, maybe an extra $50 for each guy.

Or give them both a case of beer. Maybe they take the beer and save you a few bucks.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

My tip: "Don't fucking break anything."

No, seriously...I think I tipped $100 on a $400 bill when I moved last fall. That's obviously on the high end, but a.) it was three people doing the work and b.) they really did a bang-up job. They completed the gig faster than anticipated (we agreed to a flat fee beforehand) and were quite good.

I'd say 20 percent if they do a reasonable job.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Try Willie-Butch's tactic. If it fails, you always could revert to cash.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And you're paying for five hours? Or did I read that wrong?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yeah, I have to pay in cash. That's kind of why I was looking for an idea, so I know how much to have on hand.

I'm willing to pay because my apartment is going to be a pain in the ass to move out of. As soon as you open my door, you are in a 4x4 foyer, then it's 19 steps straight up to where my apartment stretches out. So they're going to be lugging stuff down 19 NARROW steps, down a long hallway, down an elevator, down more steps to the street and into the truck.

The new house is easy. Pull up in the driveway, and my room is on the first floor.

KYSW: I'm paying for four hours. Two guys, with what I just described above, plus an hour of travel time (30 minutes each way for them) plus gas.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Only sadomasochists (sp?) should move on their own. Moving day is a whore and a half. Find someone to do the grunt work and you'll be happier and less stressed.

Paying in cash is also the way most of these guys operate...understandably so. I've got no problem with that.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No, I understand completely. I just don't want to have to be like "Oh wait, let me run to the ATM."

11. Make sure they tie Granny down up top.

[​IMG]

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It'll be harder than a cow, but if you can get someone to get on their knees behind them and you give them a shove, that should do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted