1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to tell a 5 year old that her best friend is moving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

One of Daughter PD's favorite classmates moved from the Deep South to Canberra, Australia, last December. She's 11, not 5, but they have kept in touch since then via e-mail and, yep, Skype.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm being cold and callous here, but i don't see the need for being overdramatic. She's 5. If this is the worst thing to happen in her life, she'll be a very lucky girl.

And I speak from experience. My then 5-year old son had his best friend move to Orlando last summer. I didn't overthink it. I said, "Hey, Stagger Jr., your best friend is moving right next door to Disney World." He said, "Cool, maybe when we go to Disney World, he can come with us."

And that was the end of it. We got his new address and phone number and all those things, but my son never called or wrote. After a week, he had found a new friend.

I agree with whoever said kids tend to react to situations based on how the adults act.

Draft saved Draft deleted