1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to tell a 5 year old that her best friend is moving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

This actually happened to me. My best friend from preschool moved away the summer before kindergarten. I don't remember exactly how my parents told me, but I do remember her being gone. I was a very sensitive little girl and it wasn't that big a deal to me. I'm sure I missed her, but I made new friends when I started kindergarten. For a few years after she moved, I still got birthday cards from her, but I think that by the time we were 8, we had lost touch completely.

As someone else said, all kids are different, but she's probably going to deal with it a lot better than you think she will.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Same thing sorta happened to me when I was 5.

My parents moved to the west coast and didn't tell me.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Similar thing happened to me when I was 5. My best friend moved across the country, and a month or so later, my parents closed on the house they bought and we moved out of the apartment complex, too.

It seemed a little empty at first during the time that my friend was gone, especially since his much older brother (upper teens or early 20s) was still around for a couple of weeks before he moved too. But once my parents and I moved, my ex-best friend was forgotten pretty quickly.

I've still wondered where he is right now.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bang on.

(Didn't read this before I posted; otherwise, I wouldn't have)

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Talk to the parents of your daughter's other friends. Explain the situation and ask if you can schedule a few extra playdates while she's adjusting. School will be here before you know it.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Finally pulled the trigger yesterday. A decent amount of tears (no less than at the Red Bulls game Wednesday) -- but overall didn't go as bad as I thought it would.

The parents of the other girl were great -- we're putting together a scrapbook, having a sleep over before she goes and practiced Skyping each other tonight.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just start telling her what a bitch her little friend really is. :)

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That's only for the parents of her friends and why spelling out words was invented.

9. Mizzougrad96

"Hey sweetie, your little friend is moving away. I say fuck that ho bitch."

:)

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jesus, you are breaking my heart with the practicing Skyping stuff.

Saying good bye is part of life. She will do it after high school, after college and when her future husband moves her to Hawaii... :)

It sucks, but it is part of life.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The great part of being five is how resilient you are at that age.

12. Mizzougrad96

It's really true. She'll be sad for about a week and then she'll move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted