1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to save the Dallas Morning News.... hope this isn't a repost

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Sep 28, 2006.

1. http://www.dmagazine.com//article.asp?articleid=1141

interesting piece... and something all newspaper editors should read.

2. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Interesting reading, Jason. Thanks.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Wow, that's a leader talking.
    Almost makes me wish I was 22 and willing to work for $20,000 a year.
    Almost.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I can tell what isn't the answer - cramming all your text into a tee-tiny island surrounded by an ocean of white space.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"In other words, burn the field to the ground so it can grow back healthier. To focus entirely on local news requires an entirely different culture—fast-paced, aggressive, ambitious, and competitive. Young, inexpensive talent is the key, people who know how to work and people who know how to write."

wow. did bob jelloneck leave the board and contribute to that piece?

interpretation: slash and burn and stick it up anyone's ass with experience or a dedication to quality.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Current management should be lined up before a firing squad -- but you knew that.

But this guy's a cluck. Take it local, and offer wages only the youngest -- and
    older knuckledragging morons -- would accept. Yes . . . make it The Trentonian
    of Dallas. Good idea -- not.

9. standman

standman Member

I don't know if this would save the DMN, but it would save the sports department. Put Mike Fannin in charge.

10. scalper

scalper Member

C'mon, Jason. You want all newspaper editors to read the part about turning overpaid (sports) columnists into reporters? Surely, you plan to edit that part out first.

Draft saved Draft deleted