1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How To Save A Life

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

By The Fray...

Beautiful song.

What does it mean??

I need help on this one -- need to know!

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

http://www.planetwisdom.com/music/reviews/fray_howtosavealife.php

“How to Save a Life” is based on Slade’s experience as a mentor to a crack-addicted teen. “The song is more of a memoir about his slow-motion decent and all the relationships he lost along the way,” he says. “It’s the easiest one for me to sing every night. I constantly get e-mails from people who relate to it.”

The song follows a hypothetical conversation between an addict and a friend. In the verses, the singer is the coach, telling you what to say and how the person is likely to react. “Step one you say we need to talk… He smiles politely back at you… And you begin to wonder why you came.” The type of confrontation described is frequently referred to as an intervention. (There’s even a reality show on cable about interventions.) Basically the addict is given an ultimatum: either get help or else. The song instructs you to “…grant him one last choice/ ‘Drive until you lose the road/ Or break with the ones you’ve followed.’ ”

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, thank you.

"Try to slip past his defense... As he begins to raise his voice/ You lower yours..."

It's lovely and heartbreaking. I wonder what happened to the boy he mentored.

Thanks...

4. It may be a good song, but I'm so tired of hearing it overplayed on the radio.

And while The Fray might be Denver's most popular current export, it is worth noting that Meese is Denver's best current band.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what Gary Glitter's 'Rock and Roll Part 2' is about?

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I would like the backstory on Fergie's "London Bridge"

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And did we ever figure out 'Who Let the Dogs Out'?

Draft saved Draft deleted