1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to reinvent journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by el penguino, Sep 27, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The model that Atlanta is doing is being done at many papers. Papers are thinking web first, then print. The key is whether the public will think looking at the paper's web site first for news and information. That, to me, is the unknown.

2. joe

joe Active Member

I can start a fire with a newspaper. I can't with an Interweb story.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

See? There's one thing we have going for us! Who can build on that, keep that momentum going?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Recently I was told, by someone who I suspect is definitely telling the truth, that there is an organization backed with millions of dollars which is going to go out and hire the best investigative journalists they can find to do nothing but large investigative pieces and they won't be tied to any company or business. If this is true, I'll definitely be excited to see how it works out. It's still in the workings, though, and maybe about a year away from getting started.

5. IU90

IU90 Member

I can potty train a puppy with a newspaper. I can't with an Interweb story.

6. boots

boots New Member

I can wrap fish with a newspaper. I can't with an Interweb story

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

In India, independent producers feed the TV channels with a lot of the gotcha and investigative style reporting.

How would people access these stories, dre? Concept sounds interesting in theory.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm not exactly sure, the person who told me said it's being kept quiet for now. I'm skeptical but also really interested to see if something like that could work.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

There is a need for journalists.
    There is an expected level of quality from consumers.
    There is a noticeable difference between good and poor journalism.
    To produce good journalism, one must be well-trained, either through experience or education.

There are worse industries to be in.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I can line a birdcage with a newspaper and then make mulch for my flower bed with it. I can't with an Interweb story.

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I can rub a newspaper on my face and do an Al Jolson routine. I can't with an Interweb story.

12. boots

boots New Member

Such as?

Draft saved Draft deleted