1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to Raise Your Gender Variant Preschooler

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D.Sanchez, Jun 19, 2006.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That right there, my friends, is piss-poor parenting. I say "no" to my kids at least a dozen times a day, to say nothing of the kids in my wife's daycare.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So if the kid wants to start drinking at age 10 will the parents say no then? after all it could just be a phase.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I told everybody that my favorite fruit are blueberries.  Looking back, I have no idea why I said that because I can't standing fucking blueberries.

Thank God my mom didn't make major life decisions for me based on a whimsical decision about favorite fruit.  

I would think that you have to at least wait until the kid reaches his/her teens before allowing a decision like that.

Utterly amazing.

"You know, Miss Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish. They'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father.:

It applies for mothers as well.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"At first, I thought it was cute," she explains. "I don't have a problem putting nail polish on a little boy. I don't have a problem if my son plays with dolls. His older brothers went through a similar period of doll playing and asking for nail polish on their toes. There's no reason to say no to a phase. I never once said 'no.' A phase is a phase."

So baby Nicholas was allowed to wear high heels. To play with Little Mermaid and Barbie dolls. To grow his hair a little longer. But instead of being satisfied with these concessions, Nicholas always asked for more. One day, he asked for something his parents weren't expecting.

Lauren was sitting at her computer working when 2-year-old Nicholas, who, like all the Anderson children, had a frank understanding of anatomy, came to her with a request: "I want the fairy princess to come and make my penis into a vagina," he said.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Lauren mentioned Nicholas' strange demand to his pediatrician at the child's three-year birthday checkup, expecting to be told that the behavior was part of the phase. "She got a concerned look on her face," she says. "This was not the reaction I was looking for."
    YA THINK???

-----

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What a sad story...can;t imagine what happens when this boy hits puberty. I hope these people get all the counseling they're going to need.

So what happens when the school decides boys cannot wear dresses...is this a violation of his rights? See Graduation, Girls Can't Wear Pants To thread.

7. I apologize in advance but this was the first thing I thought of when I read this thread:

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sort of related, but kind of unrelated... I am convinced that a good segment of gays are pretty much wired that way from an early age. One of the TV news shows--60 Minutes, maybe, can't remember--did a segment about this a few months ago, and I happened to stop and watch. Two things stuck out. One was one researcher who had all these identical twins in which one was gay and one wasn't, and even in the case of some very young kids, you could already tell that the die had been cast. In one family they showed, one boy was all into little boy things--playing with trucks, sports, roughhousing, etc. His identical twin had the girliest bedroom I had ever seen, and was into playing with dolls, unicorns, painting his fingernails, dressing up and playing with glitter. The parents seemed as normal as any two parents you'd ever want to meet and they had done nothing to raise one of the twins any differently than the other. The kids had just gravitated in different directions and the parents realized they couldn't fight it, so they let the kids be themselves. The same segment also showed this interesting study in which they showed college kids home movies of straight and gay people from when they had been kids. It was remarkable how often you could look at a 6 or 7 year old girl and her demeanor and body language and correctly guess that she was going to grow up to be a lesbian. Same thing with gay males. Just by lookinag the home films, the study participants were able to say which kids turned out straight and which turned out gay with pretty good accuracy. Same study just had the participants look at pictures of people and guess if they were straight or gay, and the body language gave away people as adults, too. It was really fascinating.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't doubt it, BR. Kid feels more like a girl at age 5. OK.

But to say he doesn't want a penis at age 2? That's a bit much.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm with Ace. Did this kid have a father at home?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Once when I was in maybe 5th or 6th grade, I was into Hardy Boys books. My father was thoughtful enough to look for one at the store, but he couldn't find one he was sure I hadn't read. He bought me a Nancy Drew book instead.

I cried for hours.

Was that manly of me? Discuss.

12. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

You cried because your dad didn't bring home a Hardy Boys book, or you cried while reading Nancy Drew?

Draft saved Draft deleted