1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to make a bowling ball hook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Jul 29, 2009.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What's the degree of difficulty for this?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It's not so hard with the proper equipment.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It's not too terribly difficult to get a ball to hook, it's being able to control the hook that's tough.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

about the same as my degree of difficulty at getting the ball to stay straight.
    I always wind up twisting my wrist during the release so the ball hooks instead of staying straight and compensating for the hook is something I've never figured out.
    Probably why my average when I bowl is full of fail.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's basically a half-turn of the wrist upon release. Not that hard.

What's hard is making the rest of your mechanics consistent enough so the ball is being released in the right spot every time. You can execute that wrist turn perfectly, but if you release the ball too close to the gutter it'll go between the 3-5 pins instead of the 1-3. I always overcompensate, release the ball too far from the gutter, and hit the pins Brooklyn (1-2) or worse (2-4).

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

There's a joke about Woody Harrelson in "Kingpin" somewhere in here.

And if someone already posted a picture, I can't see them on my phone.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Webby! This the thread you have waited years for!

9. Petrie

Petrie Guest

If you use the thumb, ask somebody else :D

If you don't, it's actually pretty easy. Make sure the throwing motion goes straight back and straight forward. When you release, use a quick flick of the wrist so your thumb points upward on the follow-through. If the wrist flick is too slow or two soft, the ball often will hook too far. If you exaggerate the follow-through at first (or if you're struggling as the game goes on), then it should get you back on track.

Depending on the lane conditions, I've found success setting up so the ball starts on the second arrow from the gutter. If the lane is dry (you can tell if the ball is hooking too much, since the oil basically keeps the ball on a straight-ish path), then set up for the first arrow or in between the first two arrows.

It takes some work to get the hang of it. Once you do, it's second nature.

Of course, this comes from a guy who usually uses a house ball to get his 160-170 average, so take it as you will ;)

10. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Also, you want a ball with the right weight. A lighter ball will hook more, a heavier one less.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

When I went bowling two times ago, I bowled a 219, but left a bunch of splits after my first rolls. I throw it straight down th alley at the pins. I'm assuming if I learned to hook it, that problem would be solved?

Well, this is all figuring I can get my game more consistent. Last time I went I bowled a 125 and a 99.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Can you do a screwball with a bowling ball?

Draft saved Draft deleted