1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"How To Love Baseball Again"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Chris Jones has a nice story in Esquire about recent Florida road trip with some noted baseball scribes to watch some games.

His description of sitting in the stands downing a beer under the warm Florida sun has me longing for those hot sunny days in the Bronx. Glad the season has started.

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature/opening-day-2011-baseball-5486648?click=pp

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'll read the article later, but I just want to say that if you've never done a Spring Training trip, start planning next year's now.

Warm weather, day games, small stadiums, what's not to love.

I haven't done Arizona, but if you go to Florida and base yourself in the Tampa area, you can see multiple teams in multiple stadiums.

Clearwater's might be my favorite. Good cheese steaks and a tiki bar in left field.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Arizona is simple now that Tucson doesn't host any teams. When I was kid growing up in Phoenix, one team was based in the West Valley for a short time.

Now nine of the 15 Cactus League teams are there. Just get a hotel off Loop 101 and you're set.

4. Boom_70

I did not make it down to Florida this year and after reading Jones story, now wishing I did. Just a great way to get out of the winter doldrums and jump start the spring.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Arizona spring training is 10 times better than Florida, by the way. Better weather. Less driving. Great restaurants. Newer ballparks.

Funny thing about spring training after you've done it for a while as a baseball writer: The games are the worst part. I've often said that people who leave a regular season game before the final out "don't get it." Well in spring training I think the same applies for people who stay till the final out. Once you spend a little time looking behind the curtain at spring training and seeing how the games are treated by those in uniform, it's hard to even watch them.

If you just treat them as an excuse to sit in the sun and drink a few beers and talk about baseball with your buddies, it's great. Just don't think you are watching baseball.

7. Boom_70

Agree. Spring Training is more than what goes on during the game. It really has a much different feel to it that can only be understood if you have been there. Even The Yankee Clubhouse is relaxed.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've done both and I'll also vouch for Arizona over Florida. I did a mini-trip a few years ago (rode down with my buddy who lives in Vegas) and saw three games at three different stadiums in three days while driving less than an hour each time and staying in the same hotel. When we were driving to one game, we were actually able to stop by another and pick up tickets to the next day's game. I'm going to try the trip again when I have more time and maybe hit all the parks/teams.

As for Jones' essay, it reminds me of my all-time "bad luck" trump card when it comes to the 1994 strike. The day the strike began (August 12) was my 21st birthday.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

During the season, affiliated minor league baseball is great as well. We have an independent team right down the road, but there is nothing better than heading out to the ball park to see the young kids that will be household names some day in an intimate environment, where you do not have to pay an arm and a leg to take the family with you.

I have four incredible minor league ballparks within two and a half or three hours of my house...Toledo, Columbus, Akron and Lake County. Also, five minutes away is the home to a Prospect League team (kind of a league for guys not good enough to play in the Cape Cod League). I love Major League Baseball, but hitting a minor league game is always entertaining.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Bronx isn't in Florida.

Seriously, he was at McKechnie Field, a great place to watch a game, despite the persistent presence of the home team.

11. Boom_70

Hey, it is in May, June and July for the Bronx. August gets pretty steamy but September can also be pretty nice also.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From Letterman the other night:

Baseball's new slogan: Now, this country's fifth best sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted