1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to kindly tell the d-bag to stop clapping

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rolling, Sep 1, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Just being the devil's advocate here, Bubbler ... ahem ;) ... but answer me honestly.

Did you make that declaration because it was actually affecting your ability to keep play-by-play, or was it to put those girls in their place?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Almost as bad as listening to a USC pregame radio show here in Los Angeles. Every person on the show is saying "We need to do this," "Our team has shown ..." If we can hold them to 14 points..."

When asked the final score of today's game with Arkansas, each analyst gave USC a convincing win - 31-13, 31-17, 41-21. Ugh.

Oh, and clapping by a reporter should earn that person a trip to hell.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Send him a link to this thread.

4. KP

KP Active Member

I'll just address the middle point. 50-14, seems like they went pretty easy.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Apparently, USC homers know their stuff : "we" can beat Arkansas

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

When I was a student editor, I sent a new guy to cover gymnastics. Harmless, right? Oh, let me tell you.

I found out from another reporter who was at the event for leisure that the moron wore a throwback jersey, jean shorts and a headband ... yes, a fucking headband ... to the event. Naturally, he's sitting near a few associate ADs, within sight of coaches, and of course, he's found out when he tries to interview gymnasts.

And yet, the other editors/managers would wonder why the athletic department wouldn't recognize us as legitimate media and issue press passes until a year or two later.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ran into this once on my beat last year.

Student paper sends a guy to cover a men's hoops game. Early on, home team scores a basket. Student claps. I glare at him.

Next time down the floor, home team scores again. Guy yells "Yeah Damien!!!"

I glare again and say "you can't do that here."

So he does it again, and I tell him that if he wants to clap and cheer, to go sit in the student section. This area is reserved for working press. He looks stunned. I guess no one shared proper protocol with him.

Now, the SIDs talk with all student media before games to let them know what they can and can't do on press row, and the kid (though he probably was calling me a dickhead under his breath) thanked me for calling him out afterward. He's been quiet ever since.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But he did get post-match photos....
    [​IMG]

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman = Dalton (Road House)

10. lono

lono Active Member

Just invite me over to your computer and let him read this thread.

And then slam his head into the table repeatedly until he bleeds like the little fanboy looser bi-otch he clearly is.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Unzip your pants, pull out your penis and urinate all over him and his laptop in front of everybody.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Then look at him ala Bluto in Animal House, shrug your shoulders and say "Sorry."

Draft saved Draft deleted