1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to get started...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt L., Jan 29, 2008.

1. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

Good advice. I will think about that in the future when I'm applying for classes. Right now, at this point of my life, I'm thinking maybe majoring in finance then most likely majoring in journalism. I'm not sure if criminal justice or criminal law is my thing to study or partake. I'd be open to read about it and learn more, but I don't feel that I would be interested in taking classes in it.

Lastly, I'd like to know what sites, books, or whatever type or reading you guys would suggest to learn from in terms of being a beginner and wanting to learn more about journalism and [sports]writing. I've updated my list from last time and it's currently like this in my bookmarks. There's not too many compared to what you guys are regularly reading I don't think, but keep in mind I read the local newspaper, a separate town newspaper, and the following magazines: Sports Illustrated and ESPN the Magazine. Anyways, online, I read the Atlanta Journal Constitution for my favorite sports teams, ESPN's website (currently with an Insider membership which gives me plentiful in-depth articles to read), NewsWeek, Sports Illustrated's website (a couple good writers. They lost Rick Reilly, my favorite sports writer, because he went to ESPN, but they still have people like Peter King and such who know what they're talking about), and the New York times (easy-to-access articles, a lot of topics to look at on the main page, and has a good bunch of writers IMO).

2. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Since you are still in High School talk to the journalism teacher and tell him/her that you want to cover your school's (enter sport here).

Then after you have done that for a few years you do the same thing in college. Then get the internships at a community paper and move on to possibly a major metro or a paper in a bigger market.

I know NFLSpot.com is always looking for new people and they don't care how old you are as long as you can write about your specific team.

3. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

I've seen NFL Spot already, and I don't like the community they have there. It might of been that I was part of NFLCentral, and I don't know if you knew about it, but NFL Spot and NFL Central have had a 'rivalry'. Although NFL Central was sold off, I still feel I hold bitter judgement towards the owner there because when NFL Spot was up and coming, I remember him always spamming the forum like a wreckless child. I refuse to work for anyone like that. I have my limits as well. I'm already writing for FalcFans.com, and I believe my first article will be due next week after they figure out what to do with my writing/article whether it'd be blogging or main site article/column writing.

4. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

Hey, guys. I hope the mods don't mind if I give the forum a little update on my situation. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Anyways, I took your guys' advice on writing for a major newspaper, and I did just so by mailing the editor-in-chief of my newspaper (got his email from reading the newspaper) about any possible internship for the newspaper called the Republican American. The editor passed my name along to, who I'm assuming is in charge of the internships in the Republican American, to see if we can work things out.

I feel really bad though because one of the emails, I spelt his name wrong by a letter, and he gave me a small lecture on proofreading, which I fully understand.

Anyways, I need some advice from you guys. First, what can I expect to do as an intern at a kind of big local newspaper? I'm very nervous because this is the first time I actually looked someone up/searched for him just to contact that person about potentially joining something to work on.

Also, in one of the emails, I sent him a mock draft I did of the NFL Draft, and he said this:
    and so I said I was under the wrong impression that blogs were for opinions, and he then replied by this paragraph:

I don't quite understand that. Can someone please elaborate what he means by distinguishing facts and such?

The internship is not guaranteed yet, but I'm just asking you guys for advice right now when I have the time. I'd appreciate any type of response.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You have to learn to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

I had a college professor, who, while grading term papers, would sometimes write "Saying it is so doesn't mean it is so" It took me a long time to figure out what he meant by that, but what he meant was that you can't just spout off an opinion in a column. You have to back it up with facts.

Being a news reporter, in which you have to dig up facts, and try to represent all sides in a story equally, is the best practice for eventually being able to write an informed opinion column that readers will respect reading, even if they don't agree with what you are writing. You are just starting out. Learn the basics of reporting and writing. Good luck.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Well, I would say the internships will generally be saved for someone in college. It might be different in your case.

Back to the point, you have to report news. Look at the stories in the sports section, besides the columns, and see what those writers do. They report facts and gather quotes, hopefully using their own creativity to tell the story.

Buy an AP Stylebook. It's better to learn AP style now than wait until college. That way, you could nail a scholarship pretty quickly just by working for a college paper.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I would also agree with the above. If I'm not mistaken, the people who have paid their dues are the ones who write columns. They're usually the people who have reported over a number of years.

It sounds like the comments the editor is giving you suggests that he already sees potential and is trying to help you realize that potential. I'd recommend listening to what he has to say if you do get the internship. In fact, I just read the first comment from the editor closely and now I'm convinced that he does see potential.

Besides just getting an AP stylebook, I'd also recommend investing in books that explain reporting. They can give you a solid foundation about the kinds of questions you need to ask when you go out and cover something, be it a girls field hockey game or a town's street festival or a shooting on 35th and Main.

One thing that I have found extremely helpful for me is to do research into your subject. Don't just blindly go into an event and try to get basic information from your sources. While that sometimes still gets you the information you need, you'll do better if you can approach your sources having a base of knowledge.

For example, I did a story on a Rotary Club president getting honored a couple of years ago. Before I went to cover the event, I researched information about Rotary Club International so that I'd be armed with their mission and what they do. Meanwhile, a reporter for the competing paper asked the club's vice president basic questions that I already knew the answers to. I felt as though I was able to be more efficient because I'd already laid the groundwork.

8. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

Is this an AP Stylebook? I'll order it within a week along with another book. I buy and read two books a month so...

9. Matt, I am in college right now we have a great basketball team and a promising Baseball team. I recently got the biggest compliment of my carear. I was covering a Baseball game and he sat down with me, said "I love your articles, i have been here for 25 years and that is the best sports section we have ever had". To me that beats any pay i could get.

As far as advice goes, what has helped me is knowing sports. I think thats what makes people like me and by people i mean the AD, the Basketball and Baseball coach is that I can sit down with them in interviews and I can speak in lingo with them. For example when I sat down with our baseball coach this year, and he said we will play primarily small ball this season I knew what he meant as opposed to asking what the hell that was.

Like they said go to the paper your first day. We had no sports reporters when i showed up so i write every column, commentary, and news story. I love it, it keeps me busy. Best of luck to you.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I echo all the advice above. You seem like a very smart kid, so hopefully you won't get sucked into the flash and dash of ESPN's style of journalism, if we can even call it that.

Read, write a ton, learn the technology, don't major in journalism in college, be fearless, be curious, be tough, be attentive, be strong, be smart and end every story about the subject owning a restaurant somewhere (OK, you can skip that last one ;D ).

11. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

Matt, my only advice is do not watch SportsCenter or read ESPN the Magazine and think that's what journalism is.

Read actual newspapers and SI.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted