1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How tight is our industry?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SirTypeAlot, Sep 27, 2006.

1. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

A very close friend of mine is considering taking legal action against his employer and has been told by his attorney there's a 98% chance he'll win and walk away with between $95,000-$140,000. (No need to get into details here)

I think he has just cause to "fry the bastards" as he puts it, but his lawyer also warns that our industry is a "good ole boy network" and taking such action could adversely affect his ability to get a job, or at least a good job, down the road. The lawyer says his reputation will be tainted regardless of set agreements about confidentiality even though he's been wronged and is well within his right to file legal action.

I am prepared to tell him to cut bait and move on. Getting revenge would be sweet and I'd love to see him get justice, but it's not worth the risk.

What do you guys think, and does anyone have any examples of similar situations they can provide?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a small world. Won't help in future journalism jobs. Even if the guy is in the right, folks may be hesitant to hire him thinking they'll get sued over some little thing.

And I have seen some very frivolous lawsuits by journalists against their papers.

But if he's really getting screwed may be worth it.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Decades ago I worked with a woman who had sued a major metro for sexual harassment. She won and had no problem finding work, but A.) she was an extraordinary talent on the desk and B.) she was a woman during that time when women in sports departments were rare and everyone was trying to hire one and C.) I think everybody knew the place she sued had problems.

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

My two cents:

If the suit is just, absolutely go for it. They want you to be scared.

Sure, there may be an instance or two where someone could get burned down the line (especially if this person remains local and tries to get in at another paper in the same market), but once you get out there in wide-open spaces, it's been my recent experience that 'the old-boys' network' isn't that strong anymore.

Too many distractions today for upper management to get bogged down in trying to find out if a projected employee has filed suit in the past.

5. Pardon my French, but our business is so tight, if you stuck a lump of coal up its ass, in five weeks you would get a diamond. [/ferrisbueller]

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Well, I know plenty of people who won't hire someone who's sued a prior employer under any circumstances. I also know people who've filed and won frivolous lawsuits that found another job. I think your friend should determine a few things, namely: how much it will cost him in legal fees should he lose; how much he needs the money or how much of an impact it will have on his quality of life; and if he's prepared to have this follow him around and be something he will have to explain away when applying for future employ.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

How tight is our industry? Have you looked at your paycheck lately? That is assuming it didn't bounce.

And given the current financial state of our business and most newspapers, I'd tell your friend that if he wins his lawsuit, he should demand to paid in either cash, a cashiers check or a money order......

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I thought it was three weeks.

9. Babs

Babs Member

My thought would be to very quietly spread the story of the wrongdoing as far and wide as possible before the suit, that way, if and when the company does try to blackball the gal/guy, everyone has already heard the "right" side of the story. Then, no problems getting another job.

10. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

Is he suing because the paper won't pay him enough? I don't get it.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If so, that would be a class action suit.

12. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

Aapparently finances are part of it, but there are several other issues. He's got a good case and its rather extensive. But he's very concerned what this can do to his future. Like I said, I think he should just move on and find work elsewhere. Not sure he's completely listening, which is why I decided to post this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted