1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How the Michael Richards interview on Letterman happened

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

From Mike McIntee's "Wahoo Gazette" at the Letterman site:

So that was some interview with Michael Richards. I wasn’t expecting that at all. The idea to have him on was put into action moments before the show. It was suggested by Jerry Seinfeld that we give Richards a chance to apologize and explain himself. When I was making my way through the Control Room just before the show, I saw them doing an audio and video check with a stage manager in California. I wasn’t sure what it was for. When I made it upstairs, I heard what was being planned. I asked if an info card was needed but was told the interview would be conducted during the Seinfeld segment. I figured any setup to the interview would be made by Jerry. So the interview with Jerry proceeds and Michael Richards’ name comes up early. And that was the lead-in to go to Television City in Hollywood via satellite. We see Michael, and Dave asks how he is doing. Michael is very somber and sullen. His remorse is quite evident. Many in the audience did not know how to take this. I only found out about what happened with Richards at the comedy club when I read a Top Ten entry during the day. I gave a quick view on Google News and learned what happened. I doubt the audience had the chance to find out about the incident. It was not yet in the newspapers and if I’m in New York on vacation, I doubt if I’m going to be watching too much TV news and I wouldn’t have easy access to a computer. I suspect most in the audience thought we were leading up to a joke. That would explain some of the laughter from the audience; reacting to what they thought was a joke. Even Jerry admonished the audience at one point, telling them “Hey, stop laughing. It’s not funny.” Michael rambled a bit in his explanation and apology which made things a bit awkward. I thought he should have had something more prepared. And then when I woke up Tuesday morning I thought if he had something prepared it would have looked like something his manager or publicist put together for him and wouldn’t look as if it was coming from the heart. Anyway, it made for some mighty interesting TV.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I'm one of the few who thought the apology was good. He looked like a person in his situation should -- like a man undone, totally blown away by what he's capable of in a moment of rage. That he rambled on nonsensically for a while sealed it for me. He's still not sure what happened or how to explain it and he's grasping at straws. Sad, but appropriate. Watched Seinfeld last night -- the one where Kramer brings in "the Cubans" -- and had a hard time enjoying it. I hope it passes.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'll take a rambling apology that at least comes from the person over some canned, publicist produced apology that the person is reading into the camera.

4. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

I've definitely read that about Alexander and Seinfeld. Hadn't heard that about the other two, but it wouldn't surprise.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Richards' apology wasn't good enough for the hecklers. They want MONEY!!! and have hired attorney Gloria Allred, who says a retired judge should decide what monetary compensation these two should receive.

They told their sad tale to Matt on the Today show this morning:

http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1775780

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the guys have a point. They should get their cover charge back.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Gloria Allred ... oh God, no.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

the two guys came off well with matt lauer. allred? uh, not so much.

is there any doubt that she tracked down the guys and told them, "we should be able to milk a lot of coin out of this?"

she'd better be careful here. she might end up turning up sympathy for richards, who otherwise seems to have fallen into a deep abyss.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I hate hecklers. And I really hate hecklers who then try to make coin out of it when they're called on it.

But what Richards did trumps all of that, I'm afraid.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm firewalled out of that link, but what kind of money to the hecklers think they are owed? Are people going to be able to sue others every time they insult someone now? Please.

Richards was way out of line, but they aren't going to get a dime out of it.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You know, you're right, bigpern.

Lots of people get offended around the world each day. I don't see how getting offended entitles you to a cash reward.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Carol Oschin and J.P. Fillet say they were at The Improv on April 22 when Richards took the stage. They say that in the middle of Richards' skit, a man in the audience said something to the comedian, when Richards allegedly launched into an anti-Semitic rant. According to Oschin, Richards screamed at the audience member, "You f***ing Jew. You people are the cause of Jesus dying."

Oschin says the rant continued and Richards stormed off the stage. Oschin and Fillet say that, at first, they thought Richards' tirade was part of his act, but claim that it quickly became apparent it was not.

http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1775870

Draft saved Draft deleted