1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How soon is too soon to get out of a new job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RockSolid, Mar 14, 2012.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Wow...that's crazy. I'm curious what changed at the paper to turn it from being such a flexible job when you started to such a nightmare now. Is the ME a new guy?

Absolutely hate the "man the phones" excuse. Yes let me sit at my desk for 8 hours to get the one or two calls that may or may not come. That's what a message is for...or has your paper heard of email? Geesh...it's not 1968 anymore.

Since you've specifically addressed the hours issue and gotten the "Deal with it" reply, I'd say it's high time to get resumes out and look aggressively for something else. Most shops out there are pretty good about working with limited resources and managing shrinking hours. But I'd say there are about 10 percent that are nightmares like the one you've found yourself in. The best option is to get out. And I'll echo others on here with making a report to the labor board. Sometimes hefty fines/penalties are the only way some managers/owners will wake up.

I think I speak for most people on here when I say a typical sports shift should run from 3 p.m. to midnight or something close to that. I set my own schedule at my twice-a-week shot, but typically work four 10s.

From what I'm hearing, I doubt you're ever getting back-to-back days off. Try to have another job lined up before you slam the door, but if they start bringing in shoes for you to assemble in the morning hours just walk out the door :)

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep, call the Dept. of Labor. A company just can't declare you a salaried employee on their whim. You either have to be supervising (I think), at least 2 people (which means doing employee evaluations, etc.) or you have to be a total independent in doing things (which, with your boss pulling his bullshit, ain't happening). You're probably owed a nice chunk of change from the unpaid overtime, and you'll get your hours cut. Also see if one or more of your co-workers will join you. That'll get Labor off their ass pretty quickly.

And if they pull the "Deal with it," line, say, "I am going to deal with it, with a callto the Department of Labor." Whip out the tape recorder (but keep it running) to see their priceless faces.

Oh, and what you should do with your layout-tearing boss is nip that bullshit in the bud. Bring over some dummy sheets to him BEFORE you begin layout, have him lay out the entire thing, then go ahead and do it on the computer.

If he bitches, tell him that since he's had such an issue with previous layouts, then he can do the layouts himself, which will get everyone on the same page (no pun intended) and avoid those midnight tear-ups. And if he refuses, or pulls a "It's your job, not mine" line, then tell him that you're only doing one layout, and he can stay 2 a.m. if he wants. And if he threatens to fire you, tell him you're going to the Dept. of Labor. (Tape record all this too).

Oh, and congrats to you and your wife.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Here's a link to federal rules concerning exempt status for journalists. Since you are micromanaged, you probably would have to be paid hourly.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17q_journalists.htm

Newspapers with a circulation less than 4,000 are also exempt fom overtime rules.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Are you in the South?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

At an earlier stop, I was a salaried employee at a 9K paper. We all were salaried, but they made us punch a time clock to keep track of our hours. In other words, they wanted to make sure we were putting in our 40.

Of course, the two-man sports shop that we were well over 40 during the school year.

Anyway, someone filed a complaint with the state labor board. I had already moved on to another paper, but another former employee told me the paper had lost the complaint and owed money.

Forget how much it was now, but it was at least a few hundred.

6. Baron Scicluna

True, but if the papers are a member of a group, then the total circulation is counted.

www.mopress.com/_lib/files/Overtime_for_Min.doc

7. Baron Scicluna

Oh, and one more piece of advice:

When your wife goes into labor at 3:30 in the morning, do NOT tell her, "Hold on for an hour."

Your wife and kid will be there a lot longer than this job.

8. RockSolid

RockSolid Guest

Drip, yes I am in the South. PM me if you like and I'll tell you where I am.

Baron, I would never tell my wife to hang on for an hour for the job. The problem is that this job is about a 45-minute drive from where we live. That's why I would tell her to wait, so I can drive home and get her to the hospital. The reason why I took this job was because I was let go from a much closer paper and I needed work.

9. Rock, when my first child was born -- and the second -- I told my boss that no matter where I was, I was dropping everything and leaving right then and there for the hospital. He could not have agreed more. You need to have that conversation with your SE. But as a backup, is there someone who can drive your wife to the hospital so you can meet her there? It might save some time and anxious moments.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

This, very much so. If anyone so much as opens their mouth in complaint don't even listen to it. Your wife and newborn are far more important.

Look into paid leave after the baby arrives, too. It's not just for women. Federal laws apply to men requesting time, too.

11. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Make that unpaid leave. Federal law doesn't do paid parental leave. But it's definitely available to both parents.

And Rock, I hope you have a get-to-the-hospital backup plan in case you are at work and she can't wait. Get a relative, friend, neighbor, etc. lined up to drive her to the hospital, and you can meet her there.

12. Baron Scicluna

Gotcha. From what I was reading into your post, I wasn't thinking you were accounting for the driving time. I thought you were saying, "Hold on for an hour honey while my fucktard boss tears up my JV soccer page for the third time at 3 a.m. because he doesn't like Little Jimmy's facial expressions."

Draft saved Draft deleted