1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Should ESPN Cover LSU Story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Mar 27, 2007.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Also, LSU officials have to watch what they say. Legal action is a definite possibility here. Any good lawyer in this situation would tell their clients to STFU until everything is settled.

Question to ponder: After looking at all the miniscule crowds for the regional finals on Tuesday night, anyone want to take a stab at why the attendance numbers were so small?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If Pokey Chatman was a guy and resigned for an "inappropriate sexual relationship" with one of his femaie players this would be getting significantly more coverage than it is right now.

We'd most likely know who the player is and we'd be reading reams and reams of columns about what a shitheel the coach is for taking advantage of one of his players. I haven't seen one column/story/news report taking Chatman to task for that. Not one. Why is that?

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My guess is, again, nobody knows the whole story and is afraid to go out there on that limb. Some columnists have to be thinking, why is LSU paying Chatman a Final Four bonus and her salary through the end of the season? Is there more to this story I don't know?

4. Armchair_QB

That's my point. If Pokey was a guy in the exact same situation, people WOULD be going way the fuck out on that limb.

5. Johnny Dangerously

I have seen columnists take shots at her. Not a full column's worth, and sometimes veiled, but she hasn't come off free of criticism.

6. Armchair_QB

But still much lighter than a guy would receive in the same situation.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Yes, they have surprised a lot of people, and the players most certainly have earned the right to be half the story.

But especially if you can get anything, Pokey has to be at least half the story, right?

8. Johnny Dangerously

If there's nothing new, I say no.
    If there's something new, of course.

9. Johnny Dangerously

I agree.

It's probably worth noting here that Chatman was extremely well-liked in Baton Rouge. Had a jerk of a coach -- male or female -- done what she did, the columns would be different, I am sure.

10. Hammer Pants

Agreed, as long as it's understood that the reason it's news that they're playing so well is because of Pokey's situation. If Pokey's the coach and they beat UConn, so what? This is their fourth consecutive Final Four.

11. Johnny Dangerously

The first they reached by beating a No. 1 seed, not to mention a 21-point margin of victory.

12. Hammer Pants

And without Augustus and Johnson. All good points.

Draft saved Draft deleted