1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Should ESPN Cover LSU Story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now that LSU has made ladies final 4 ESPN has a dilema on their hands. Will they shy away from the real story behind Pokey Chatman leaving LSU.

Its the 3rd rail of Women's sports and one that no one really wants to deal with.

Will they just tell us that she left due to allegations of "improper relations with a student athlete."

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It's all anybody has reported, including hundreds of newspapers. If the full story were known, the dilemma would be real, but ESPN has reported no less than anyone else. Besides, I think you were the only person in America who didn't understand the code.

And nobody has figured out where Pokey is.

3. Boom_70

But the "code" sounds stupid. Selena Roberts wants to tell us that this should not be an issue but obviously it is. Its a big problem in womens sports that no one wants to deal with.

4. Johnny Dangerously

I'll grant you that last sentence, to a point. It certainly explains why LSU officials have only said so much, and only anonymously, to confirm the code.

But about the "big problem" in women's sports ...

There are at least two issues here:

1) lesbianism
    2) a coach having a relationship or conducting herself improperly with a player

If you can have 1) in women's sports without 2), I don't see a big problem unless it becomes divisive on the team (straight vs. lesbian). Or unless you have a Rene Portland who conducts witch hunts.

This is more an issue about 2) than about 1), in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, do you mean lesbianism is a big problem in women's athletics, or are you saying there are a lot more coaches than we know taking advantage of their players?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This just in, Pokey's alleged partner revealed:

[​IMG]

6. Johnny Dangerously

Well, that was helpful.

7. Boom_70

2 is the problem and the story that should be covered. It seems like an issue that is more prevalant in womens sports.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

There's another unspoken problem with this issue: Same-sex coaches preying on players probably isn't more prevalent in women's sports. The press just doesn't get very worked up when it's men preying on young women.

9. Johnny Dangerously

I think it's possible the male-dominated sports media isn't ready to confront its hypocrisy and double standards about such matters.

"Officially, we're professional and offended."

but ...

"Wow, who do you suppose she was doing??"

and ...

"Men's sports? If so, I don't wanna know about it ..."

Not to mention what jgmacg said.

10. Boom_70

Agree - that is problem also. You seem to hear more about at youth level sports such as swiming.

When Coach Knight has improper contact with a student athlete its sure covered.

11. Johnny Dangerously

You can't make an apple out of an orange with semantics, Boom.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yes, he probably can.

I'm not convinced it's prevalent at all, but I do think we cover women with more civility...maybe because the mostly-male media is uncomfortable with the subject, or unaccustomed to attacking women (attacking is too strong here, I know, need a better word)? I don't know

But you have to agree, there doesn't need to be 'code' for a coach having a relationship with a player.

Draft saved Draft deleted