1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How seriously do you take fantasy baseball?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm sorry, out. i should have said "a waste of time for me."

do you love me again?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My first of three drafts is tomorrow. I'm hoping to put my competitive contacts in tomorrow morning.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We'll always have our shared love of JLH. :)

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just finished one draft. Hated my picks, but everybody else seems to like 'em. Another one all day Sunday. :)

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm drafting Saturday, Monday and Saturday.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My league hasn't formed yet. The commissioner has been busy at work and hasn't had time to yet.

I take it seriously, but not as much as several years ago. I'm in a free league now, but for the first few years, money was involved. Of course, now that there's no money, I've finally figured out how to build a competitive team, instead of the last-place abortions I fielded my first few years.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't do any fantasy sports. You would think I'd be a natural for it, but I used to have one of those roommates who was psycho about it ... would cheer for opposing players to get hurt, cared more about his stats than a good game, etc. Cured me of ever wanting to take part in that.

My boyfriend's in enough leagues to cover the both of us, though.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

An ex-girlfriend got a hold of me last summer, and I mentioned I was playing fantasy baseball because it helps me keep in touch with some college friends. She said, "You still play fantasy baseball?" As if it were a bad thing ... like only teenagers should play.

I hope she has herpes.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Really fuckin seriously.

Don't get me going on how I was robbed of a money league title last year by a fellow owner's incompetence (not referring to the NIAFL, 21/Boom beat me fair and square). Guy gets A-Rod and a few other players at the trade deadline and then doesn't make a move after Aug. 8...the only team in the league to quit that early. Even the last-place teams made moves deep into August.

I end up losing the title by a half-point when the guy who has A-Rod is passed out in runs on the very last day of the year by the guy who beat me. I could handle losing due to someone's inactivity if the inactive team was out of the running...you can't expect people to pay attention every day when they're out of it in August. But to have a team that was in 2nd place at the deadline completely cash in his chips with seven weeks to go?

Still so very fucking livid. And revenge, one way or the other, will be mine.

11. BRoth

BRoth Member

My name is broth and I'm a fantasy addict.

I only do free baseball leagues, of which one or two I take very seriously. Mostly because there's been the same 4 or 5 of us that enter in the same league every year.

Never again will I put money on a fantasy football league. The Lady Friend would not talk to me on Sundays this past season because I could get in such a foul mood if my team was tanking it. I also missed out on $200 because I started Travis Henry instead of Justin Fargas. Dammit.

Two fantasy baseball drafts in the next two days. It's kind of like Christmas for two hours at a time.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And remember: The password is awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted