1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How seriously do you take fantasy baseball?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 14, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. Unless I'm not contributing to your thread in a manner you'd like. Then, no.

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I love it, but I'm nowhere near as serious about it as I was in college.

Only in nine football leagues and two baseball leagues.

3. See, I'm only in one league. I'm a purist. But I throw everything into it. Try to exploit the inefficiencies of that league's rules, etc., etc. I don't think that makes me any less serious than someone in nine leagues.

Also - I play football, but I don't like it very much. Way, way, way too much luck involved in predicting performance from one year to the next, let alone one week.

4. I killed a guy who cheated last year. Other than that, I don't take it too seriously.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Completely understandable, FoaF

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You may wanna lay low for a while. You know, to let it blow over.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Seeing my favorite team, the Colorado Rockies, make it to the World Series last year is my idea of a fantasy baseball victory.

8. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

And me having Troy Tulowitzki on my team last year made it twice as special for me.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm in three Yahoo! leagues — one I've lingered in with an ex-coworker and his friends (I'm the guy everybody asks, "who the hell is that?" about at the draft), and two with some friends from college (it's a good way to keep up with everyone).
    I'm not nearly as serious or dedicated to it as I am to football. I get excited about baseball at the beginning, but by late June or July the daily grind starts to catch up to me. I'll set my lineups at the start of series and on off days, and leave them. And if my team sucks and I'm in the middle of the pack by the time football rolls around, I tune out completely.

As an aside, I'll agree with Mike that the trophy system on Yahoo! kicks ass. I think I've placed in something like 35 percent of the leagues I've played in. It's something to play for when it's mid-August and you're in fourth, a thousand points out of first place.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I got roped into a league this year and it's $20 per. That said, I've chalked it up as lost money and I plan to make as much of a mockery of it as possible. It's my fault I got roped in (long story, fear of outing) but I've said over and over I don't have the attention span for baseball and its VORPs and WHIPS and shit. If I finish above last, nothing short of shocking.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fantasy leagues are a colossal waste of time. did it for two years a decade ago. wished i had that time back more than i wish i had SportsJournalists.com time back.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd curse you for that post, but as long as you bring the boob pics, I just can't do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted