1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How seriously do you take fantasy baseball?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Over the last couple of years, I've become pretty serious about trying to compete in my baseball and basketball fantasy leagues. I used to scoff at them and people who played them, but actually putting forth the effort of preparing, etc., actually serves to help me scratch a competitive itch that I'd forgotten I had. I find it kind of fun to feel like I'm outworking/outsmarting people.

Am I just a big huge nerdy dork? :)

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I have one NL, keeper, auction league I am in. And, I really do love it. Nothing nerdy about it at all. I compare it to the experience of watching an NFL game (not being in a league) to watching one with money on it (being in). It's just.... juicier. Not geeky.

As the kids get older and life becomes more hectic, I don't prepare and have three potential gameplan dossiers going in to the auction as I used to.... Now I'm fortunate if I find out that Johan Santana is in the NL before the auction. :D

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I play to win. I try just as hard as the next fantasy manager, maybe a little bit more to get the win.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Too seriously. I'm an addict. I freely admit it. I finally had to cut back a little bit this year (No SportsJournalists.com leagues for me this season) because I just don't have the time. I've got my two drafts this weekend, so my wife knows she won't see much of me the next three days.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The flavor is fading for me. Maybe it'll change for baseball -- I hope, at least -- but I'm still in two basketball leagues, and I could really care less about them. I'm in first place in one of them because of a draft-day deal and a solid few rounds, and I'm sixth in the SportsJournalists.com league. I check my teams and set my rosters every day, but that's really about it. I haven't looked at the NBA stats once this season. I shouldn't be anywhere close to where I am right now.

I generally take baseball a lot more seriously. I'm in a paid league, a league I've run with friends for six or seven years and an SportsJournalists.com league. I'm confident that I'll pay a lot more attention to the happenings in baseball, so I'm not worried about my intensity level this spring. But I play for fun -- except in the paid league. There, I play to fucking win ... and don't.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I play to win whenever I'm in fantasy sports. I don't always take home the trophy, but I've won league titles (and one Open Cup) in several different sports. Plus, I made an improbable run to the championship finals in fantasy hockey one year.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll tell you what, though. I play strictly Yahoo!, and since they developed the trophy system -- top three get one -- I go after the top of the leader board a lot harder.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I weep. I rage. I cheer.
    Each season, it becomes a part of me.
    I'm nothing without it.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm in a money baseball league, so i take it pretty seriously.

10. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I take football the most serious by far.
    I've never done very well in basketball and baseball, but Mike invited me to his SportsJournalists.com baseball league and I really wanna kick his ass. ;)
    So, I've been preparing for tomorrow's draft a lot more than I usually would for a normal baseball draft.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm addicted. I play in only one league a year with a bunch of co-workers and former co-workers. I love it to death. I can't go to bed until the west coast games are done. That bad.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I quit after I got married in 2004.

Before that, I was as big a rotogeek as you'd hope to find.

Like dating a stripper, it's something I look back fondly upon but without any desire to go back.

Draft saved Draft deleted