1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How quickly I forget

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joseph K., Mar 23, 2007.

1. Joseph K.

Joseph K. New Member

Covered my first softball game of the spring. It's amazing how quickly I forget that these can be some of the most brutal games you'll ever see. More errors than hits, bases-loaded walks and wild pitches galore. Thank goodness for the mercy rule. It's just a shame that it doesn't kick in until the fifth inning.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't you have a 15-run in the third rule?

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm actually looking forward to softball season. With a good pitcher, it's fun to watch. Plus, there are usually tons of blowouts so you don't have to worry about it going seven innings.
    On a very good day, they're done in three.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And you cover these shitty games because?
    Don't say because they're there. If they suck, find something else to cover. You don't have to cover every single event.

5. Joseph K.

Joseph K. New Member

Because I have no way of knowing how they're going to turn out. One local team and one from far away that's usually decent, but was missing its star pitcher and a couple other players.

6. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

There's never enough in my book.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Damn, how long you been on the desk?

8. villageidiot

villageidiot Member

I think we can all agree that preps sucks and that it will always suck and there is nothing we can do about it but bitch on here. That said, the good thing about covering a softball game is that if both teams have their ace pitcher on the mound, the game is usually over in about an hour and a half.

Not as interesting, but easier (or at least less time consuming) to cover than high school baseball.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Had almost the same exact thing happen to me today. Fortunately, the local team was on the winning end, and I played it up like it was a pitching gem from Local High's ace. And it was a good performance. Eight Ks and no hits, even if it was against a bad team.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, no, I think you're wrong on both ends.

Preps suck in direct proportion to how much you think they suck. Think they suck 100%? Then they do.

My prep guy doesn't sit around moaning about how preps suck.

In the words of the Vault commercial, he Gets To It. And produces a lot of great copy, wonderful little stories off his beat. Definitely doesn't suck from his POV. And voila, his stuff doesn't suck either.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Concur with what Hejira said. Preps don't have to suck until you make them do just that. When you are covering non-conference games, they mean nothing and are devoid of anything resembling competition. If your team is any good, they just go about their business like it's another practice. If they are not, it's all picking daisies and grabbing jocks. Not fun times.

I'd much rather work on features, explanatories and in-depth stories than cover stupid f*n non-conference games and I don't understand the mindest of people who choose the latter.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Well, it is nice to get outside after being stuck inside for four months. There's that.

Draft saved Draft deleted