1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How quickly do you retweet something from unknown source on Twitter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jul 28, 2011.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff here.

http://jasonschreier.com/2011/07/27/twitter-killing-journalism/

There's no need to kill the whole medium. It's not that you can't trust Twitter; you have to be careful about who you trust on Twitter. There's a far-too-easy ability to retweet something, then do the legwork to check if it's right for your own reporting.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As a media person, I don't really see the advantage of re-tweeting "news" that someone else is reporting.

Maybe if you want to give a plug to someone you know, but to do it as some alternative to reporting, that's just dumb.

3. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Two points:

1. No, you can't trust Twitter. And reporters should be careful about what they retweet. Way too much false stuff slips through. The art of verification has been lost sometimes.

2. This was sort of an unfair moment to test NFL reporters. This was probably the craziest free agent frenzy in league history, with literally hundreds of players shopping for deals at the same time. Good job, you caught some of them. Should reporters have been more careful? Absolutely. But I wouldn't pat myself on the back too hard.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That was pretty amusing.

And I don't retweet anything if I'm not familiar with the person tweeting it in the first place.

5. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

How the hell does the official Arizona Cardinals website pick up an incorrect tweet about its own team and report it as fact -- as well as speculating about why it is such a weird signing. That's awful.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would have said it was automatically set to retweet items -- except you probably wouldn't want your tweet deck to be making snarky comments, too.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Without reading the article, I'd answer the question with "not so long as the source is unknown."

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/79446/

9. Today is my third anniversary of using Twitter so clearly I'm (not) an expert on the subject.

Re-tweeting somebody else is not the same thing as confirming the information from that source, you're simply pointing out that somebody else said this. I wouldn't advise re-tweeting notoriously unreliable rumormongers (mostly because I don't like encouraging those people) or just any random schmuck, but I don't think it's hurts your credibility of you re-tweet something and it's proven to be wrong.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

How is this unfair?
    If you're a reporter, you don't go forward with something unless you can confirm it. Being lazy isn't an excuse.
    Is the old adage of, "if you're mother says she loves you, find another source to confirm" gone now?

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I see a lot of "interesting if true" RTs on stuff like the reports earlier this week that LSU's AD might be headed to Tennessee.

Seems a good approach.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. Mom doesn't tweet much.

Draft saved Draft deleted