1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How pathetic does your life have to be ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Nov 15, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

... if you're already lining up at a store for Black Friday?

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/11/15/black-friday-shoppers-line-up-over-one-week-early/

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

While you were out "saving" that $200 on the TV, you lost $320 (or 40xhourly wage if earning more than minimum wage) by not going to work for a week and you still spent money to buy the TV!

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Honestly, if Best Buy offered to give me $1000 worth of merchandise if I would just camp out outside the store in line for 8 days, I'd laugh at them.

These people are pathetic.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I thought you were going to say, "....to have more than 11,000 posts at SportsJournalists.com."

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, god, that is pathetic. Anyhoo, on a Thanksgiving visit home last year, was forced into waiting in line for a K-Mart. Everything was picked over in 15 minutes. Went to a Wal-Mart at 2 a.m., and plenty of selection and hardly anyone there. I would daresay the lining up is more functional as a rare societal bonding experience than as a smart shopping thing.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you're not getting one of the big-ticket items, or something that's only on special for those first 2-3 hours, then yes. I agree.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Horse squeeze. It's all part of our pathetic pursuit of things to make us feel better about our sorry-assed lives.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In case you don't notice under everyone's avatar, I'm a picker compared to other posters. And you probably could have written a novel instead of your 7,000+ posts.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

My town has a new Chick-fil-A coming after the new year. Since I'll probably still be unemployed, I plan on waiting in line to get free food for a year. It may be the only way I eat in 2013.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The problem with Black Friday is most of the "Big Ticket Items" are either old, shitty or both.

Just glancing at Best Buy's ad, they have a nice little Canon point and shoot for $80. It got very average reviews and while it's being offered at a huge markdown from it's MSRP of $250, it's a modest markdown from the $100 it can be had for from respected internet sites, and the $110 from Amazon.

And that's just the current price. Tech like that could easily shed $10 or $20 more in a month, so you could plausibly get it for the exact same price before Christmas. Even if you didn't, is $20 worth it?

That's not to say they're all crap deals. Some of them are nice. But, in my opinion, they're hardly worth camping out for a week, let alone a day. Then again, I'm sure the camping and craziness is part of the allure.

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

For the first time in forever, the wife may actually get me out shopping on Black Friday. But only because we have a specific need we have to address. Our deep freezer has died and needs to be replaced ASAPronto.

Draft saved Draft deleted