1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much should I tip my pizza delivery guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Ha! In the Penthouse Forum version of this story, yes.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They never forget anything that obvious with mine.

When I used to be able to get Papa John's, I'd just get an order of breadsticks and a couple sodas, but I'd get cheese sauce instead of the nasty pizza and garlic butter sauce they included. So I should have gotten three cheese sauces. But it was never right, I'd always get one of each, even if I called to remind. And by the time I opened the box, they were gone, and I always felt like a douche asking someone to make a special run for a mini-cup of cheese sauce. :(

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

to me, the amount of the delivery order makes little difference. it's not like the deivery person is our waiter/waitress. the deliverers of food to the shockey estate get at least three but no more than five bucks.

and if we don't have the exact amount, yes, we ask for cash back. for example, if the bill is 24 bucks and we give the kid 30, we ask for three back.

such is the way we roll.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nothing wrong with asking for cash back. I do that with cabbies, too. Not gonna tip you $10 just because I don't have any singles on me.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

When I delivered for Pizza Slut three years ago (hey, it paid off my wedding), they charged $3 for delivery and I got all of it, plus whatever tips I made.

Most people tipped an extra $2 or $3. Turned out to be pretty good money, actually.

I tip around 15 per cent when I get delivery.

6. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

If I can see they charged me a delivery charge, I don't tip, or I give a minimal tip. There's one place around here that tacks on $6 for delivery. That's fine, but that's your six extra bucks. You're not getting more out of me. If I pick it up, I'll tip because we always have special instructions on our pizza.

If I can't see it on the receipt when I get it to sign, I assume they didn't charge me a delivery charge or were smart enough not to show me they did and usually get $5 or so.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sorry, but that's stiffing the driver for no good reason. Stiff the company if you want by taking your business elsewhere, but why punish some kid who's just doing his job?

8. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I know how much delivery drivers in this area make. It's more than me, that's for damned sure.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My college roommate used to do this, in all seriousness. I always gave the guys and gals a couple bucks and the change, as well.

We got pizza faster than anyone on earth.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I was at a party back in college and everyone shouted they wanted pizza so they called up the local pizza joint and ordered like $30 worth of pizzas. The guy ended up coming about 45 minutes later. While we did end up giving him a sizeable tip, they also handed him a beer and joined up for our festivities before he continued for the rest of his night.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I made minimum wage when I delivered (which is more than most people who get tips, but still.) My paycheck would be about $120 for two weeks, plus cashing out every night (usually about $40-60 on weeknights and lunch shifts, $100-200 on weekends). And that was when they gave me regular shifts, which wasn't often.

I find it hard to believe they're making much more than that, inflation be damned.

Anyway, we've already had a 20-page thread on this subject, so I've made clear my thoughts on tipping. I stand by what I said.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so if the pizza place doesn't pass on the delivery charge to the driver, what is the justification for it? other than just because they can. did the domino's job on more than one occasion in my younger days and they didn't charge for delivery. i usually made about $15 an hour when you combined hourly wage, tips and mileage.

Draft saved Draft deleted