1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of your news consumption is sports?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I feel ya. Virtually all of mine is sports unless it's the occasional local or natural disaster story. I'll have SC/College Football Live on in the background when I'm making (well, microwaving) dinner just to make sure I don't miss anything.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You really do hate all sports other than the one you cover? You've mentioned this before. I take no issue with it. It's just a curious career choice. Or did your dislike actually stem from covering sports for a living?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She has trouble understanding sports where they do more than drive around in circles... :D

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My consumption is probably 30 percent sports, 35 percent news and 35 percent pop culture.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I'm on the news side, but do follow sports quite a bit....probably 35-40 percent news, 40-45 percent sports and the rest is science news and pop culture.

6. Matt Stephens

I especially enjoy history news.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sorry, IJAG, but this was exceedingly well played. :D

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Absolutely. I'll admit I don't understand hockey, but I don't care enough to watch it or learn it.

I like soccer, but I don't follow it.

I've never really "covered" sports, I guess? I don't know. My last job I had to be a lot more surface-knowledgeable about every sport, and so I didn't get too into any of them. Then when I left that job, I no longer had to, so I didn't re-delve into the ones I didn't care about from the get-go (hockey, NBA).

I guess I just don't "follow" them. I'll watch college hoops during the tournament, and I know enough NFL to be dangerous, but I don't read about sports and I don't know anything other than what I see when I watch a game. And since I can't just watch a game without a rooting interest (and oftentimes not even then) I just don't choose to read about it.

Not judging others. Just the way I am.

And Dick, it stemmed from the work thing, I guess. My first job (as it was for most) was a preps-heavy all-encompassing job. Desk/writing/editing all of it. No pro teams within 100 miles of me for 12 years of my life (15-27) so I never went. I knew preps, and the teams around me were great at that time, but it's not like they're on ESPN or anything. So I just kind of fell out of favor with it.

9. Matt Stephens

ijag-
    Is your focus in design?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, copy editing.

11. Matt Stephens

Ah, gotchya.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd say it's about 65-35 sports. I pay just enough attention to national and local news to feel like I'm at least somewhat informed when I go to the polls.

Draft saved Draft deleted