1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much of a hassle is it crossing the Canadian border these days?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think the rule is now if you fly or take a boat outside the U.S., incl Canada, Caribbean or Mexico, passport is mandatory. not necessarily on the way out, but to get back in. If you drive, I believe they have held off on the pport requirement for now, but it will be necessary in the future. Just get the damn thing. It cost my about 70-bucks to process it and got it in about 4 weeks.

I tried to sneak some Cubans back, but they didn't fit in the trunk (rimshot). Seriously, they don't toss every car and if you stuck them in the glove box, who's the wiser?

2. In Exile

In Exile Member

Living on the border as I do, you have to be prepared for delays no matter what ID you carry. You can be passed thru 9 times out of 10, but the next time either harassed individually or, as happened to me once, customs did an intentional slowdown, which made every car take about five minutes to be waved through, and made a line of sixty cars take several hours to pass through. Often, if the US is cracking down, the Canadians will crack down, and vice versa. They play a game.

Passport if you have it, license and embossed birth certificate if. not. If traveling with a minor and you are not with the other parent, bring a notarized letter of authorization from them.

Don't make jokes - they really don't like that. Clean your vehicle ahead of time so it is easy to look through. If you get called in for an interview, don't, like a friend of mine did, ask to go to the bathroom. They will think you want to flush something. If you have any priors, cop to them when they ask, because they have all that stuff on computer now. And FYI, if you have a DUI and try to enter Canada from the US, you are likely to be denied entry if they check you out and find it.

Somewhere out there is a website that posts border delays. I generally try to avoid the major highways, but if you do, have a reason you got off the highway other than "I wanted to avoid getting hassled at the border."

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In Exile knows of what he speaks.

Don't fuck around with these people. They're by and large a surly group and how they treat you could be something as simple as whether the guy/gal got laid last night.

Here's a link to the Canadian Customs website. On the right you'll see a link to border wait times.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

And to reiterate what Brooklyn said: just get a damn passport because as of Jan 09, it will be mandatory to enter the US --and yes, that includes US Citizens.

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

If you do cross the border more than once a year, consider a Nexus pass as well. One major hour-plus backup will cost you more (time-wise) than the $50 US (for a five-year period) the Nexus costs. My application is currently being processed. Requires a form with all info (job, home, etc) the past five years, background check and in-person interview. Even with all those hassles, I can't wait to get it (IF I get approved that is...don't see why I shouldn't).

That said, I do cross the border rather frequently (from September through May, at least three times a month, usually many more). But I'll be encouraging Mrs. Fly and young Flyette to put in their applications, too (kids are free but still need to do all the same steps).

And I actually enjoy most of my encounters with Customs folks (Canadians especially). Just answer their questions, be direct, look at them, take off the shades and BE POLITE! Have your ID in-hand (for everyone in the car) before you get to the booth. And yes, get a passport. I finally broke down last fall and got one. Much easier than carrying birth certificates, and the border agents don't have to fiddle through different paperwork. Quick and simple.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Fly,
    There's a dedicated Nexus lane, right?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did he use the whole fist?

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

At most of the major crossings, yes there is. It isn't open 24x7, but the majority of times you can drive right up, and basically right through.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Worse. A cattle prod.

[​IMG]

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Moooonnnn River...

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

In my experience I have found the US Border guards friendlier, more professional, and having less of a chip on their shoulder than their Canadian counterparts.

The memorable exception to this was the Border prick in Pembina, North Dakota who kept me there for an hour while driving down to meet some buddies for drinking and basketball in Grand Forks.

The ridiculous circuitous questions in an effort to trip you up would be laughable if it was not such a pain in the ass.

All of this is a result of the Western hemisphere Travel Initiative, get the goods here.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My son and I drove up to Toronto last summer, crossing at Niagara Falls. I had passports and a notarized letter from my wife saying it was OK for my son to be with me. Both sides barely looked at the passports, and at the letter not at all. Of course on the way up, it could've been the reason for my visit: "Going to the Hockey Hall of Fame, Sir." Anyone who would do that couldn't be a bad guy!

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A Canadian Customs guy I know (he works in Windsor) told me that carrying a detailed itinerary for trips to the US of more than a few days is a big help.

So when the Huggy fam went to Cali on July 16 I had a sheet listing flight, hotel and car rental info as well as the contact info for my aunt and uncle's house in Laguna. The US Customs guy at the Toronto airport never asked us anything but it's a handy thing to have.

Draft saved Draft deleted