1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much money to ask for?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, May 14, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If I get a job offer from my current search, is there a certain percentage I should ask on top of what I'm getting now? I'm not leaving my current shop for anything less than I'm making and won't ask my current shop to top an offer either.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

No real way to answer that without knowing a LOT more particulars. PM me if you want my $0.02.

RB

3. might be a little high

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The old rule of thumb that I heard of a long time ago was 15 percent higher. Of course, it depends on the situation.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And then add another five, maybe 10 percent just because. You only get one chance in this spot.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At this point . . .

job security > job pay

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but security is such a moving target these days. What was a rock-solid situation six months ago might be mush now.

Money is still important, and if you're in a situation where you have a job but might get another, you gotta be smartly aggressive about trying for more money (being unemployed and going for a job, that's different). It allows you to sock away that much more as an insurance plan if the once-promising new gig turns sour.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

The biggest thing to remember is this: The biggest pay raise you'll probably ever get is from the start. I've been a big believer in this: I give the potential employer the number I think I deserve. It's not outrageous. but it's the number they're going to hit if they want to hire me. When I took this job, the pay scale was $2K to $4K lower than what I wanted. I said hit this number -- $2K more than the most they were "willing" to offer, according to the ad. They offered me the max, according to the ad. I told them, no. You hit this number.

They did.

It doesn't always work like that, but if you're reasonable, you might get the number you demand.

P.S. I also got an additional $2K in raises the first year I was here. Of course in this current economic climate, I haven't seen a raise the second year, but nobody in this business is getting a raise.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

SCE speaks the truth. Be aggressive; you won't get another chance to negotiate (at least until you apply for a new job.)

Remember: If they're going to make an offer, they want/need you as much as you want/need them. Get what you can out of them.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Be willing to walk away if they don't budge like they did for SCEditor.

I had a paper acting as if I were the Golden Child or something some years back. They told me the salary range, with $2K being the difference between the high and low end of the hiring scale.

When they offered $500 above their low end, I asked for the remaining $1,500. When they refused, I turned them down. The publisher called back 24 hours later, offering to pay for some rounds of golf (I really wish I were kidding). I said no.

It ended there. The job was a one-man show and screamed 70-hour-a-week death trap, not to mention a publisher a little too proud of his thoughts on dropping AP altogether. Walking away was not difficult, and it shouldn't be for you, Stitch, if they won't budge.

11. Redacted ... a little too close to self-outing.

Don't take the first offer, but in this economy don't give them a reason to move down the list. It's a delicate game.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's a whole new ballgame today I would think in terms of negotiating.
    Hell you could be downsized in 6 months no matter how much you ask for.

Draft saved Draft deleted